cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Day 1 again on the morrow

I'm not a stranger to quitting, but am doing it again. I'll be happy to be a quitter rather than a smoker. 

Some of you have seen me here before and you saw me disappear. I'm a human and made some mistakes, and that included smoking again. I set my quit date as tomorrow last week. 

I've been reading Allen Carr again, am in touch with them on Twitter, and have been reeducating myself of the contents of cigarettes (horrifying) and why I want to quit and how I intend to do it. 

My preference is cold turkey. I agree with Carr on the concept of not continuing the drug (nicotine) that I'm quitting in any form. I'm also making "there is no reason to smoke; there are millions of reasons to quit" my mantra. Mostly, I'm repeating "there is no reason to smoke" in my mind and have made major changes already. 

I have the challenge, but not permanent hurdle that can't be defeated, of having a smoker live in the house. She smokes outside only. She's very kind to not smoke in the car when I'm with her. Something I read today about being jealous of smokers and wanting what they have struck me. I need to remember Carr's suggestion that I have nothing to be jealous of. I won't feel pity for her as per his suggestion. She's as addicted as can be. Perhaps she'll see my quit as an opportunity. But for today, my quit is the most important thing for me to consider.

Anyway, here I am. I could use all of your help. I know I'm going to get cranky, but am remaining positive. 

Hello. My name is Donna. I'm a smokeaholic.

30 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Good to see you back DonnaMarie!

Glad to hear you are doing the reading and prep work again.  Get READY! Let's make this your final time!

Nancy

jceleski

Great to see you back!  This site saved my life.  One of the things I liked most was that they allowed humans!  People talking about real life.

Keep going!

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

I love that BecomeAnEx allows humans! 

elvan

Welcome back...do stay close to the site, I think it is incredibly helpful.  I had many a failed quit before this one and it has been over four years now...I HAVE to say that the site has been the biggest factor in my success.  I suggest that you keep reading and that you comment on blogs and pay attention to what is working for others, that's what got me through some tough times.  Remember that no crave ever killed anyone but no one can say that about smoking, it has killed so many people and made so many so very sick.  I am glad you are back, you CAN do this.

Ellen

Soup

Donna--from one smokeaholic and relapser to another: I, too, have recommitted to trying it yet again.(for the zillionth time) Set new quit date for March 11. Having identified all my triggers and tracking of cigs from the past attempts, educ. classes, etc., etc., am trying something new this time, along with NRT assistance. Appreciate all the reading resources given to me in this forum and will read them also. Wishing you strength and willingness tomorrow!

DonnaMarie

Let's both do this!

welcome back.  We're like motel 6 here.  we always keep the light on.  Sounds like you have the right quititude going in and you'll do great.  If you ever need help, you know where to find us 

MarilynH

Welcome back get ready for your Day ONE to be WON with many more to come you can do this quit believe it deep breaths and stay close because we're all here to help you in any way we can. 

JACKIE1-25-15

YOU KNOW THE DRILL

NOPE