cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Barb102

Coughing

I’m on day 29   and I’ve been coughing all day. I have no other systems of being sick. Is this part of the quit ?

Barb

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Lisaml

Cough is one of those tricky things where it is absolutely impossible to know what's going on over the internet. Cough has so many variables and characteristics. 

Im glad you don't feel sick. But any time you have a sudden onset of ANY new symptom, it's best to get seen by a physician. 

Having said that, a lot of people say they have an increased cough after quitting, often attributed to the cilia in your lungs coming back to action. 

Cilia are the little "sweepers" in your lungs, that keep the lungs clean. Cigarettes paralyze the cilia. So when you quit, they start to work again, and may have to work a little overtime to clear your lungs from the smoking residue.

Again, it could be this, but if you're concerned, have a doc listen to your breathing, and get a chest X-ray to be completely sure;-) 

JACKIE1-25-15

This is my opinion, I am not a physician but  if you are just starting to cough at day 29 you may be catching a cold.  Usually the coughing generally commences when you initially quit and then subsides.  

Barb102

Thank u so much for answering me. I’m weezing too. I will contact my pulmonary doc but I can’t until Tuesday thank u again I really appreciate it Barb

Sent from my iPhone

Lisaml

Barb, the fact that you have a pulmonologist makes me stress all the more to watch your symptoms closely. If you have a prescribed bronchodilator/inhaler, use as prescribed. Deep breathing and coughing exercises can help to clear the lungs also. 

If you develp fever, short of breath or worsening of symptoms, you should go to "doc in the box" or acute care before Tuesday. 

Take care!!! 

Barb102

Thank you yes I have COPD and use a nebulizer thank u for caring about me. I will take your advice. You are a good person and I thank you

Barb

Sent from my iPad

elvan

Barb,

DO use your inhaler and your nebulizer as needed and keep a close watch on the cough.  If it does not improve or if it gets worse, PLEASE call your pulmonologist.  It is much better to treat things early when you have COPD.  An exacerbation of COPD can be seriously debilitating and can lead to more lung damage.  Drink lots and lots of fluids, breathe in through your nose and exhale SLOWLY through pursed lips...it helps to empty the lungs.  I got a bottle of bubble juice on the advice of a respiratory therapist to help teach me to exhale slowly.  If you are not already a member of the group https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/copd , I suggest that you join and that you learn as much as you can about this disease.  I am a retired RN but the things I learned from Thomas3.20.2010‌ are priceless.

Keep us posted,

Ellen

Barb102

Thank you Ellen I used the nebulizer and I stopped coughing I’m going to take all my inhalers and drink lots of water I’m going to look into the COPD group. Thank you pls stay in touch. Barb

Sent from my iPhone

"You may also be coughing more because you’ve developed a comorbidity, which means another illness exists alongside your COPD. Examples of comorbidities include infections such as pneumonia or influenza, or issues like gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). When you lie down, GERD can push stomach acid into your throat and mouth and cause you to cough.

If your increased coughing is due to a comorbidity, you can use antibiotics or medications to return to your regular level of coughing. Don’t make any assumptions, though — speak to your doctor, who will make a diagnosis and prescribe you the right medication."

"Here is a coughing technique, called huff cough, to bring up mucus that won’t wear you out. This can be helpful in those with an ongoing cough due to COPD or other chronic lung conditions. It’s helpful to work with your doctor or respiratory therapist when learning this technique.

1. Sit up straight in a chair with your head up. 
  2. Breathe in using your abdomen and hold for 2 or 3 seconds.
  3. With the back of your throat open let out your air in a burst, making a “ha” sound.
  4. Do 2 to 3 huff breaths, then rest for 5 to 10 breaths.
  5. Repeat this in cycles.

The larger the breath, the more effective it is for smaller airways."

Judith Marcin, MD

COPD and Coughing: Why Your Pulmonologist May Teach You to Cough 

Thomas - Please followup with your Doctor and if the sputum should turn yellow or green, you notice a fever, you become short of breath, or you notice that your ankles are swollen (edema) don't wait. Go to urgent care and if they're not open go to ER. 

What good info below...something I think all people who smoked for many decades,like myself ...should read and bookmark........

BARB- take good care of yourself! See you Dr. sounds like good advice to me. Placing you in my prayers.