cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kelton

Day one cravings

I have quit 2 previous times and remember how awful the cravings were.  But I know this is important and I want this to be the last time.  Please help, I feel like I am going crazy!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
shashort

Hi Kelton nice to meet you. Welcome to day 1! Welcome to the community. Not sure if you have been reading about this addiction or not, if you haven't  start reading everything you can whyquit.com, Allan Cars book are a couple readings and read lots of blogs to see how others have done this quitting thing..  Get up and move, do jumping jacks, take a brisk walk, clean somthing, punch a pillow whatever it takes to get you through this tough moment. You CAN do this. Stay strong, find your determination and tell the Nico dude NOPE!!( not one puff ever), you don't do that anymore. You are taking control back of your life and it will take some time to relearn so be patient and firm with yourself and don't give in. End this day with a day won!

MarilynH

Welcome to the community please read everything you can about quitting smoking and remaining quit because there's a wealth of information here to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb and start living a life of Freedom, you can do this quit one precious Smokefree Day at a time or hour minute or even a second at a time or hour minute or even a second at a time but you must believe it and this evening you can look yourself in the mirror and smile and say yay for Day WON with many more to come, quitting smoking is definetly difficult to say the least but very Doable and so very worth it to be Free so hang on tight and stay close because we're all here to help you through any rough patches ,keep your mind as well as your hands occupied which helps......

Kelton

Thank you so much for your encouragement and support.  I will look through the site for more help.

cat52

I use hard candy, sunflower seeds, gum, and chew on straws. Take a walk if you can. You can do this!!! There are really good videos to watch at Whyquit.com as well. Just remember if you stick with it this time, you will never have to go through another day 1!!! Cat52

0 Kudos
Kelton

I never do want another day one, day two is much better.  I have been drinking a lot of water and moving around when I get fidgety.  Thank you.

Nymous

Congratulations on quitting. 

1. Drink Lots of water.

2. Suck on some honey

3. Work out , go for a jog

4. Keep saying - I am never taking another puff. This is a battle, a test of your strength, Nicotine wants to keep you as a slave, Keep saying " I am not giving up"

5. Remember - It is tough.. Accept it and be resolute.  Getting over an addiction is not easy but can be done. It is not impossible. 

6. Take one day at a time.

7. Focus on this moment , each craving is a battle. One battle at a time and you will be free.

All the above, I am saying it to myself too...

I am on my day 6. I am  veteran of many quits. I quit for almost 3 weeks and in a moment of weakness started again , smoke three cigs and went back to quit mode again. I can tell you, that taking another puff is not worth it.  Every time you quit and smoke the nicotine receptors become stronger , I guess. 

So be strong. You can do it. Be prepared for the first week. Accept it is going to be tough and do not focus on the craving. Focus on the benefits. Focus on Winning the battle.

Mandolinrain

EVERYTHING they all said plus....get a bottle of Vicks Vapor Rub. It was like magic in a little blue bottle for me. Killed craves almost instantly by having some under my nose. I even bought the inhaler and kept in my purse and car. Got me through the worst -craves-ever!

Good Luck, you CAN do this!

Missy

Nymous

Thank you Missy. I am going to try Vicks, Hope it will help me too.

0 Kudos
Lisaml

All those suggestion... plus...

GET MAD at what nicotine has done here. How dare that chemical wreak such havoc on our bodies! And take back control.

YOU call the shots here. YOU hold the power to change your life and take it back from the hijacking cigs.

Adopt the mindset of you are on day 1 of RECOVERING instead of quitting... 

good luck!!! 

0 Kudos