cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

eleanorbowers

For Stay-At-Home Mamas Who Quit Smoking

I'm a mom of two toddlers - one just turned 1 in January and the other is 4. Sometimes I just need a break and going outside to smoke is the perfect opportunity!

Now that I won't be smoking I don't know what I'm going to do to get away from the kiddo's for a few minutes! And as you stay at home mother's know, there are points throughout the day where you HAVE to take a break for your sanity!!! 

Any ideas on what you other mom's do to take a break?

Tags (2)
8 Replies
Mandolinrain

Yes, come to this site and study-blog or read

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

You might find some other ideas in Moms‌ like https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/31202-anyone-else-smoke-to-escape 

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
YoungAtHeart

You STILL take that break - but subtract the smoking.  Substitute some slow, deep breaths, or marching in place, or doing a crossword, or calling a friend, or counting the red., blue, or  yellow things you see.

Change it up!

Nancy

Giulia

Spend the amount of time you used to spend smoking a cigarette and meditate for that time instead.  There are lots of quick 10 minute meditations you can watch and listen to on youtube.  Here's one I just found, for example:  Mindfulness Meditation - Guided 10 Minutes - YouTube 

Bree19

Have some good rock music ready and get your 4 year old to dance with you.

The little one will be entertained, you'd be exercising a bit and then slip away for Giulia's idea of a short meditation. 

Bree

eleanorbowers

That's an awesome idea I didn't think of. He loves dancing and his little brother loves music and LOVES watching his brother. That would be a great distraction when I feel that urge to go have a cigarette. Thank you!

MichelleDiane

Boy, do I remember those days.  I wish I would have been smart enough to quit then.  Since I have gained wisdom now maybe I can add some thoughts.  Taking time for yourself during the day, even if it is a short break, is very important when you are raising children.  Perhaps stand outside and breathe some fresh air, or do some quiet meditation in your room, sit down and read a magazine article or chapter in a book (as long as the children are in a safe place).  Discover some other things you can do for yourself that you will look forward to when you take your break.  Perhaps it could be coming to this site and connecting.  You will figure it out one day at a time.

All the best,

Michelle

eleanorbowers

It would be great to interact more on forums like this. It can be very isolating being a stay-at-home mom and even just posting stuff or talking to other adults would be a nice break! Thank you