cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Advise on not gaining weight.

Hi all, 

I'm still not smoking. I'm still excited and very motivated. I have been eating much smarter, I also have been walking on my breaks and on my lunch.  Can anyone give good advise on snack ideas for my lunch break? I don't like to eat a heavy meal at lunch time. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
11 Replies
Sandi4

Hi Rasberyswirlgrl - Congratulations on your quit!  

Here are some of my favorite "lighter" meals/snacks

1. Tuna, avocado, cilantro, red onion and cucumber with lemon juice and a teaspoon of olive oil as a dressing

2. Boiled eggs.  Sometimes I'll chop them up and add some avocado and bacon.

3. Any salad but be mindful of the dressing you use (watch the calories)

4. Reduced fat Wheat Thins with natural peanut butter

5. I make my own trail mix with sunflower seed, dried cranberries and unsalted almonds

6. I'll put chicken breasts and broth or water in a slow cooker and let them cook for 4 hours.  Shred them and make quesadillas or eat the chicken with veggies.

7. Carrots and hummus

I'm eager to see what other responses you get so I can find some new suggestions.

Sandi

Thanks for the advise! I would eat almost all of this.

I get sick very easily with lunch ( it’s my least favorite meal of the day) 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I like Hummus with carrot or celery sticks, frozen grapes, oatmeal with fresh blueberries, apple slices with peanut butter...

hummus and carrots is  delicious! 

Apple and peanut butter is life! 

0 Kudos
Barbara145

Congratulations on quitting smoking. I started out trying not to gain weight. Most people gain some weight when they quit.  It has to do with the change in our bodies and metabolism after quitting.  I did gain weight but decided I needed to focus my energy on staying quit.  A Doctor told me once that if weight is not an issue going in it won't be after. It was true for me. I quit 4 years ago. I wasn't over weight when I started and I am not now.  Keep on going you are doing great.  

The last time I quit I wasn’t overweight, but I wasn’t concious of what I was eating. I was eating just about everything in sight when I quit smoking.  I ended up gaining 50 lbs. it was discouraging. I ended up losing all that weight and more. Honestly, I didn’t want to quit smoking was because I was afraid of gaining all the weight back. I am aware now that I have to be careful of what I eat. 

I did end up making Chexmix as a snack tonight but I was good about how much I ate of it. 

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great advice @everyone!.  Don't forget there is also information on the My Quit Plan site as well (Keeping Off the Weight When Quitting | Guides & Tools | BecomeAnEX ).

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
Bonnie

Glad you posted this...I'm 40 days quit and haven't gained any weight yet, but EVERYTHING is tasting so good!  Started walking a bit every day and did quit the wine at the same time as the cigs, but I know I can "blow" it at any time, and justify eating anything at anytime, 'cause I'm an addict.  Vigilance is the key for me, and if I do "blow" it with food (not smokes), don't beat myself up and eat less til the couple pounds come off...We're lucky that overindulging for a day isn't a life sentence ...sorry, I'm rambling because I want to go and EAT something, but I'm not hungry at all...glad I noticed that...

0 Kudos