cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MamaCanuck

NRTs addictive?

I'm using nicotine lozenges 2mg. I find the 2 mgs too strong, I get that weird nauseous feeling in my stomach, so I've started cutting them in half and that seems to be just the right amount to nip a crave in the bud without the other side effects. I'm not sure how many I go through in a day, certainly much fewer than the old deathsticks, but should I be concerned about becoming dependent on NRT? 

12 Replies
anaussiemom

Am I experiencing nicotine withdrawal?

Blog Post created by Dr.Hays on Aug 30, 2017

Are Nicotine Replacement Safe?

Blog Post created by Dr.Hays on Nov 1, 2017

Medications and Myths - F.A.Q.'s

Blog Post created by dr.hurt on Aug 13, 2010

Nicotine withdrawal can be severe.   For many people withdrawal symptoms peak between 3-5 days, but they can last for many weeks.  Recognizing and alleviating withdrawal from nicotine can be extremely helpful in stopping smoking.

The most common withdrawal symptoms are irritability, anxiety, craving difficulty concentrating, depressed mood, insomnia and restlessness.  Symptoms can also include constipation, dizziness, nausea, sore throat, nightmares, tremors, rapid heart-beat, stomach irritation, anhedonia, and fatigue.  These unpleasant physical sensations, emotions, and cognitions can trigger an intense urge to smoke, however smoking in response to these symptoms is very reinforcing and strengthens the cigarette addiction and builds the ‘habitual’ component of smoking.

Nicotine replacement alleviates withdrawal and is a very safe alternative to smoking.  Nicotine medications don’t deliver the rapid and high doses of nicotine like a cigarette, and are not addictive like the cigarette.  More importantly the nicotine medications don’t contain the 1000’s of chemicals that are in cigarette smoke, and which cause the tremendous toll to health.

These days, there is no reason to suffer from nicotine withdrawal
.@ NRTs

JACKIE1-25-15

NRT are designed for a specific period of time. They are used to wean you from nicotine and not be used permanently  I have heard of people still using them after an extended period.

indingrl

Congrats on your question and love has answer with Dr Hays blogs SUGGESTED already okie dokie MamaCanuck the CHOICES are yours to decide for YOU and your personal nicotine freedom please keep on keeping and good job STAYING QUIT NO MATTER WHAT yahooooo for you!!! 

Jennifer-Quit

Nicotine in any form is addictive.  Keep a journal of how much you are using each day and make a plan to wean yourself off of it.  If your quit date is accurate on your profile, this is your 4th day quit.  Congratulations!  No need at this point to get off the lozenges - just don't use more than 20 mg per day since you were a pack a day smoker.  

bonniebee

I never used a whole o e or even half all at once I could  of handle the taste but I didn't waste them by throwing them away ....I had a little plastic pill box  and kept using the same lozenge as needed .I also used the patch so I didn't need to put the lozenge in my mouth very often .I only used one or two all day .

MamaCanuck

Thanks all! Great advice about keeping a journal. I'd read the instructions that came with the lozenges, but I've been doing a lot of reading the past few days and coming to terms with the addict part of myself and it just occurred to seek feedback. 

0 Kudos

I'm trying to picture someone cutting a lozenge in half.  🙂

Scissors?

Knife?

Laser?

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

What the heck is a lozenge for smoking?  Do they really work?

0 Kudos

They are similar to nicotine gum but a lozenge you suck on.

Some people suck on them for life and develop the "holy ulcer"

in their cheeks, their gums die from the blood vessels constantly being constricted by the nicotine. When they get the holy ulcer, they normally jump off a glacier in Alaska to forever chill.