cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

wvunursgrad

Made it through day 1.....feels like forever to go

Just quit smoking today. I am on Day 8 of Chantix, and wow, this drug is really working. I haven't had any physical withdrawl, just all emotional. I already miss going out on my deck, lighting up, and having 5 minutes of peace and quiet to myself. Anyways, I have been smoking on and off for 8 years and have tried quitting multiple times without full success. I really want this time to be different. I am a closet smoker, a super closet smoker, so I am hoping to find some support here.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

I'm on the patch, it seems to work too.Weaned my way down off of 1 pack for about a week and am now on day 3 free. With desire, it will get easier. Gonna continue with patches but I think I've got it whipped. Good Luck
0 Kudos
karen-p.-fate

WVU-

I just hit day 21....still alive and I have not been disowned by family or friends....as of yet. I have found that I have an exteme sense of smell, that at times I wished I didn't, and have found that instead of being emotionally unstable during this time....I am just plain blunt and to the point (I don't know what's worse).

I have smoked off and on for almost 30 years. I am what you would consider a "closet smoker" as well, especially these last 10 plus years. I've never smoked much (5 or less a day on average ) and have quit here and there - a couple of years, couple of months, etc.

When I decided to quit, it was just that....I threw the smokes away and then informed everyone that I was done. Maybe it has to do with the mind-set at the time, I don't know, but I can say it has not been as tough as I expected, but it is tough to re-direct the day to day activities that once involved a smoke for each.
0 Kudos
laura39

You can do this! I think it is important to still have 5 minutes of peace but without smoking, How about taking a book/magazine/newspaper on the deck or going for a short walk? Play some solitaire but with real cards so your hands will be busy. The first few days are the hardest and it is completely normal to be emotional! Just go with the flow. Take one day at a time.
0 Kudos
heidi8

Sorry I didn't see this sooner to reply...hope you are doing well with your quit - you may not have been as much in the closet as you thought; I've known several closet smokers in my day and ALWAYS way more people knew they were smokers than they thought. I was also to some extent...and guess what - most people that I didn't think knew - KNEW! My clothes and hair always were what gave me away. Anyway, I agree with finding the peace & quiet in other ways. It is a little tough, but you can do it...I come to this site and that has helped A LOT. Stay strong and hope you are doing well.
0 Kudos
becka

I saw this on the c.o.p.d. site and thought of you please read this. Becka......
For the newbie's here and even the one's who on whatever day. I loved this story or whatever you want to call it I just wanted to share it with you.

ONLY ON DAY ONE
Author Unknown

So many times people say that they're on day one and it's an understated, quiet, anti-climatic humble statement. They seem almost apologetic to the crowd. They are only on day one, how insignificant.

Well, let me tell you something ... Day one is the most important day of the entire quit! Without Day One, there is no quit!

It's absolutely the MOST important day! And it should be shouted from the rooftops! It should be heralded with trumpets blaring! Day One is cause for greater celebration than Day 100!

Oh, Day 100 is wonderful. Success is stamped all over Day 100, but without Day One, there is no Day 100. Without Day One there is nothing.

So here is to Day One and all those who were brave enough to enter it and embrace it and allow it to be their reality. Congratulations to you for being willing to enter Hell Week!

I see Hell Week as a challenging, long, suffering, miserable week and here these people are ... Ready - Willing - And Able to walk up to it and say "I'm here!"

Without that, you have no quit. Without that willingness to walk up to Hell Week and offer yourself like some sacrificial lamb on a rock slab, you have nothing. You are the bravest of any day, on Day One! You are the most challenged on Day One. That is the hardest day of the entire quit. Because that is the day that you took your whole world and did the impossible. You turned it around 180 degrees! You turned night into day. You made the sun into the moon. You took everything that seemed normal and right and tossed it into the wind and said "give me abnormal and wrong!"

Ever since Day One, I have been inviting abnormal and wrong into my life. And I have never felt so alive in all of my days on this earth.

If I could do it all over again, I would jump into Day One screaming and cheering with banners and ribbons flowing from my arms. And I would wear a big hat that proudly stated "DAY ONE" on it! Because something happened that I never bargained for. Facing the fear and allowing Day One to enter my life was the first of many more wonderful challenges. And it was as if somebody handed me a key (a master key!) and said "Here, this opens more doors, discover yourself!"

Welcome to Hell. It is the most wonderful place! Because past this lies Freedom. I'd walk this walk 100 more times if I had to. It's that beautiful.

Great job, keep up the good work!
â–¼ Reply to This

Upload Files

Replies to This Discussion
Permalink Reply by Linda Mc 1 day ago
That was an awesome post, no matter who wrote it, it is so true. And I totally agree that the worst day is the first day, and the first week is "hell week" no doubt about it. But the things that we gain from quitting are phenominal. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself. And will stay that way, Possibly the best thing I could do for my COPD. Hopefully it won't get too much worse with out the smoke to make it worse. L
â–¶ Reply to This
Permalink Reply by Becka 1 day ago
Delete
Linda I am just now learning that I really do have C.O.P.D. and I have heard (more than once) that quitting cigarettes won't help. Well I am here to say that that is bull! Of course it helps. No there is no cure and quitting will not reverse the damage that has already been done. But quitting will slow the progression down and hey for me at least it is a little easier to breath just 24 days into my quit. Hang in there kiddo. Becka....
â–¶ Reply to This
Permalink Reply by Linda Mc 19 hours ago
Hi Becka, sorry you have COPD too, I agree with you and that is that if we still stick with out quit, I believe the progresion will slow donw. and it will get a little easier to breath. Those that say oh well, I just give up, are really fooling themselves. They want to smoke, and I agree the thought went thru my head when I found out, But that was it just a thougt, We will be the winners Becka, I firmly believe that. God Bless. L
â–¶ Reply to This
Permalink Reply by Becka 1 day ago
Delete
Oh what a wonderful post, if only I had read that on my day one! Thanks forthis post and Happy Easter to everyone. Becka....
â–¶ Reply to This
RSS Follow – Email me when people reply
Becka
Sign Out
Inbox
Friends – Invite
Settings

Groups

May Quit Dates
220 members

Quitting for our Pets
28 members