cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kristih78

Has anyone tapered off ciggerettes while using the patch?

So 12 days ago I started on the patch, I have made a plan and its this . 2 ciggerettes every morning then put the 21mg patch on ,do this for 2 weeks ,next 21mg no more ciggerettes ,for 2 weeks, then the 14 mg patch for 4 weeks ,then the 7mg patch for 2 weeks. I have been very successful so far and I have been smoking 2 ciggerettes every 24 hours, any thoughts or have anyone else did this successfully ???

0 Kudos
12 Replies
anaussiemom

Whatever works for you do it!  Can you smoke with the patch?

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Not to my knowledge you are not suppose to smoke with the patch.  They are a replacement. 

0 Kudos
Kristih78

I don' smoke with the patches on, I take it off at night and smoke in the morning ,then put one on after a shower.

0 Kudos

2 cigarettes a day is not tapering off. It's holding on.

You are only getting 2mg of nicotine from those 2 cigarettes but clinging to the ritual. 

🙂

JACKIE1-25-15

To be successful I think following the instructions would be better and safer. 

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

kristih78 good morning.  I chose to use the patch to quit smoking.  The 21mg patch is the highest dose and is meant for people who smoke more than 10 cigarettes daily.  This is just my thought about using the patch.  It gives my body the nicotine, so I don't get the massive withdrawal, but it will not replace rewiring the brain.  That comes from working towards a smoke free life.  I hope your way works for you, but since this is my second attempt with the patch I chose to use it as directed.  I just stepped down to 14mg.  I'll be on this for two weeks and then go to 7mg.  I know it will only take one cigarette to put me back to where I was and I really do not want to do that.  It's been a challenging journey, but well worth the discomfort.  Best wishes for a successful forever quit.

-Michelle

Barbara145

Hi Kristin.  Congrats on your decision to quit smoking.  Do whatever works for you.  When I turned 60 I was smoking 2 packs a day.  I realized I needed to do something.  I bought some patches and I continued to smoke.  I was able to cut down that way.  I did that off and on for about 6 years.  I had a healthy heart and I knew it.  At 66 I was diagnosed with COPD/ emphysema.  I quit smoking with the patch and gum as recommended by the experts.  That was 4 !/2 years ago.  I stayed on the patch for over a year.  I am a happy non-smoker and would not smoke again no matter what. The journey of quitting smoking is an individual process with many rewards, emotionally, physically and spiritually along the path. Best wishes to you.

anaussiemom

Am I experiencing nicotine withdrawal? 

I think the patch is a good thing.  I don't think smoking is a good idea.   The way the patch works generally, can and does elevate your Blood Pressure!  Please educate yourself, on patches if you have not.     Answering your Question..Yes!   have seen a few stop smoking with patch!!

Many Blessings
Kim

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

If you are serious about quitting, not taking in too much nicotine by accident, and firmly believe that this is the way out for you, then follow your instinct. But insurance isn't bad either, in that if you find you hit a wall, you can adjust your plan. Keep learning about the addiction. I hope that reading about others experiences on Ex is of some support to you as well.