cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Joann123

Ready to quit smoking for good

Hello I’m new to this my name is sandy I’m ready to quit smoking my last cigarette was this morning at 7am any one willing to help thank you sandy 

7 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

Lots of help and support available here Sandy.  Welcome to Ex!

It's not easy - I will not lie to you but it is definitely doable - just look at The Elders List - lots of hard work went into this list compliments of Giulia and smorgy8513 but more importantly lots of work and preparation and dedication went into each of these people's  quits. 

• Read and educate yourself about this addiction - understanding it takes away some of the fears and helps you realize that what you are going through is normal.  
  • Make a plan.  Decide what method is best for you.  Cold turkey?  NRT?    Prescription meds?  Lots of opposing views on this - but whatever you decide, make this quit your own.  There are lots of successful quitters here who either went cold turkey, used NRT, or used Chantix or Wellbutrin. The decision is yours!
  • Set a date and commit to it.  I wanted mine to be on the first day of a month - easy to remember - ha - it is the most important date of my life - I will never forget it.  Get rid of all smoking related items - you don't need them anymore.
  • Make of list of things to do besides smoke--things that you enjoy and is not a trigger for you.  I read novels - and I could read for hours without one thought of smoking.  Another tough time for me was after a meal - I chose to brush my teeth after eating rather than smoke.  Other good options - take a bubble bath or shower, walk, do puzzles, play internet games, etc.  Whatever you enjoy.
  • Stay close to this site - the support that I received here helped me tremendously.  Don't be afraid to ask for help.  Reach out to people here - because we have all "been there, done that".

Best wishes to you!

Giulia

Hi Sandy.  Welcome.  I find it fascinating that your on-line avatar name is joann but your real name is Sandy.  lol

So you've now been quit for 12 hours.  YAY!!!!  Tomorrow morning you'll have one day under your belt.  That's how we do this quitting thing - one day at a time.  Take it in baby steps.  Jennifer has already given you a whole bunch of good suggestions.  Heed them.  There are a lot of wise people who have been there and absolutely understand the journey you're on and what it takes.  She's one of them.  Listen to everyone, but really pay attention to those who have long-term quits for they are the wisest of the wise when it comes to the knowledge about this addiction and how to beat it.  We say on here, "take what you like and leave the rest."  Some things will not speak to you.  Some things will irritate you.  THOSE are the ones to pay particular attention to.   For it's the things that push our buttons that need the most self-examination.  MOO (my opinion only)

Glad you've joined us.  Stick around.  (And yeah, there are TONS of us willing to help.) 

MarilynH

Welcome to the community, you've made the best decision that you'll ever make in your lifetime so please read everything you can about quitting smoking and remaining quit because there's a wealth of information here to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb and start living a life of Freedom, quitting smoking is definetly difficult to say the least but very Doable and so very worth it to be Free and it's the best gift that any of us will ever give ourselves which is the gift of LIFE, stay close because we're all here to help you through any rough patches that you may come upon. 

0 Kudos
Sootie

Hello Sandi- Your first day should be almost over by now. The first days can be tough....no question. But you just have to put your head down and get through them. It does get better and then....it gets FANTASTIC. Freedom from this awful addiction is wonderful......better than I can express in words. Lucky for you, you have joined THE BEST place for support as you accomplish this.

Welcome to EX----we are all here for each other.

Stay Strong

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

How's  it going , Sandy?   Joann123

giphy.gif

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

Welcome to Ex! Glad your here to join us. Many wonderful people here to support you  You can do it!

0 Kudos
MarilynH

How are you doing Joann123? I thought I'd swing by and check on you and let you know that we're all here for you....

0 Kudos