cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Nymous

Frustrated

Hi Everyone,

I am a new user, I quit for 20 days cold turkey and I slipped up yesterday and smoked three cigarettes back to back. I threw the pack away later. I am feeling so bad, only if I had not succumbed to the craving . I had a bit of personal situation and next time I must have a plan for when I am under stress.

My question is , is it like starting back again from ground zero. I am terrified to think that i have to go through the same painful two weeks again.

11 Replies
indingrl

Welcome back nymous CONGRATS ON ONE DAY NICOTINE FREEDOM! You are the most important person to ME because you let ME know USING nicotine for a personal situation did NOT work! I am grateful you are BACK and it is ONE DAY at a time NOT TWO WEEKS at a time!  Your NOT alone I used NICOTINE back in the day too.... I came back just like you and it was SUGGESTED to stay in this day ONLY and to educate MYSELF on MY nicotine addiction NOT anyone else... Only YOU can decided if YOUR addicted to NICOTINE...it was SUGGESTED TO ME to check out the EXPERT ADVICE by Dr Hays here at this site and ALL blogs by those STAYING QUIT NO MATTER WHAT ONE DAY AT A TIME YAHOOOOOand also to go to whyquit.com to watch the videos about addiction and to STAY on this site everyday since I USED NICOTINE everyday so I took ALL THE SUGGESTIONS.... please remember you not alone unless YOU choose to be... you gotta do this for YOU NYMOUS and YOU have experience NOW using NICOTINE AT PEOPLE TO PEOPLE BECAUSE OF PEOPLE doesn't work and I learned the hard way too... just like YOU... I used NICOTINE because I wanted to USE.... thats what addicts do....they USE.... NOW I CHOOSE NOT TO TAKE ONE PUFF OVER ME ONE DAY AT A TIME and TOGETHER WE will stay quit no matter what so keep on keeping on 

darnPainter

Try to learn from your relapse. What was behind the beginning thought and eventual action? Was it fear, resentment, self-pity. These are common driving factors behind the actions of an addict. I always have to watch out for these. Also I have to watch my expectations. They can easily become demands, which lead to resentments = craving = self-escape = smoke at situations, people, etc. These are simply my experiences which may be of help, or not. I'm glad your here and reaching out. One step back, tow steps forward.    John

Lisaml

Get back on the saddle;-) and be proud of how quickly you caught and corrected yourself;-) 

welcome!!!!

I would think not since you didn't go back to smoking for very long.  but I'm not a reliable source because since this last quit, I never had anything substantial beyond 3 to 7 days.  Now, I'd well over 2 years being quit.  Sounds like you know where you went wrong and I commend you for that.  This time hang on to your quit with all of your might no matter what.  You have to make the decision.  smoking is a choice we make.  I choose not to 

bonniebee

Just Few should not set you back to day 1 but it throws one off to relapse it is really up to you .....I did what you did on ce and I went 10 years before I attempted to quit again ! That was so stupid of me ! I am glad you are being smart and just picking yourself back up ! 

Figure out what you can do next time stress hits because it always will that's life ! 

Do not keep a stash of cigarettes close by , it is to tempting when hit with stress and a big crave !

YoungAtHeart

I second what bonniebee wrote.  Put any remaining cigarettes under running water and smash them ALL - get rid of ashtrays and butts.  Keeping any around is giving yourself permission to fail.

Don't be giving so much thought on how hard it will be to start again.  That sounds to me like you are searching around for an excuse to not try again.  Just DO it!  Think about what caused you to make a decision to smoke, make a concrete plan what you will do differently this time, and get to it!'  There is no time like the present!

Nancy

indingrl

Hi Nancy how are you?

0 Kudos
Nymous

Thank you every one . It was very tough yesterday , I could not sleep , the cravings were really bad but I held my ground. Today is the second day and it already feels better. I realized that my trigger is whenever I am uspet or angry or if something goes wrong at home or work that is when I reach out Mr Nicotine for help. I need an alternative plan during those situations.
Thanks again everyone for the support. It makes a huge difference

Self Talk. "I don't do that anymore" say it every time you think of smoking.

Throw cold water on your face

bite into a lemon skin and all

stick your head in the freezer and count backwards from 20

0 Kudos