cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Lisaml

Lazy and unproductive

so I have mentioned this before, but I always had a cigarette BEFORE I did anything, then another to mark the completion of any given task. 

Now ive been free for 32 days, and I am a sloth. 

Dont get me wrong, I workout, work, take care of the fam, but in the afternoons/evenings? BIG FAT NOTHING. 

I've read about people keeping busy and cleaning out closets, drawers, etc.... 

NOT me. I watch tv, read and hang out on my couch. 

Its almost like I'm afraid to "commit" to accomplishing anything because I will miss the "bookend" smoke too much. 

Is this weird ? 

Ok, yes I'm weird, but has anyone else felt like a sloth in the first month (s)?!?

25 Replies
Sootie

YES! I hear you! That "reward" cigarette at the end of a task had me "taskless" for quite some time. But just like everything else with quitting smoking....it will go away. It's just a trigger for some of us that we have to learn to get over. And what TIME WASTERS those "bookend" cigarettes are!!!! I always tell the story of the first weeks of my quit......I quit on November 15, 2009. It was only about two weeks before Thanksgiving.....I was expecting a houseful of family. As always, I began my preparations for the big meal the night before. These preparations always took me from early evening---6:00-7:00 to 2:00AM. I TRULY believed the prep took that long. WRONG! It was all of those get going and reward yourself cigarette breaks I took while doing it. That year, I began as usual and was completely done with the kitchen cleaned and shining by 9:30PM. I couldn't figure it out and was actually thinking in my "quit fog" (which happens) that I had forgotten to do something (s)........but NO! It was just that I wasn't taking all those start and stop breaks for smoking. I got through that first holiday and many,many more and every day, every month, every year, I am so very thankful I stopped using something that was harming my health as a reward for productivity. I can now start and complete everything I need to do with no cigarettes......and you will too. I PROMISE!

Stay Strong.

Lisaml

Thanks! im so encouraged by you!!! 

I know exactly what you mean with the dinner prep:-) 

if I were to be completely honest with myself, I guess when I was smoking a pack/day... I wasn't very productive. How could we be? we were literally always smoking. 

SO glad those days are behind, and now I will just enjoy being lazy but healthy;-);-) 

Giulia

In a way quitting is a workout all on it's own.  I get that.  From what you've said you already work out (i.e. exercise), and do all the normal things you always did: go to work, take care of the family.  What's different about your day when not smoking?  Was there something you USED to do in the afternoon/evenings that you're not doing now because of the triggers?  I don't quite understand.  Where's the sloth part of that?  A sloth, to my mind, does nothing most of the day.  Seems to me you're doing something most of the day.  It's ok to relax.  Ya know?

Quitting takes energy.  And a lot of it.  Although we speak often about "accepting" the journey - well, for me,  I fought the journey until I got to the acceptance part. Because once you get so tired of fighting the cravings,  you either give up or HAVE to accept them   And giving up was not in my last play book.  I REALLY never wanted another Day One.  And eventually after finally  accepting  them as a given part of the journey, they went away.  Sorry. I went off into a different tangent.

Don't worry about the sloth.  It's the 32 days of steadfast commitment that are the most important part right now.  MOO

MichelleDiane

Hey Lisa.  I find that when I get like that I think about smoking more and then get stuck in a funk.  I've been there for two days and decided to turn it around to how I was when I first quit 38 days ago.  I was tired of feeling conflicted and took the advice of many people.  I got up and went for my 2 mile walk.  I always love walking and being that this was healthy I recommitted to my quit and imagined all of my organs getting better without smoking.  Hope this helps.

-Michelle

Sandy-9-17-17

Lisa, for sure, and you are not alone!  Many people do this!  It is really quite challenging to re-train yourself into a whole different way of life without the added smoking!  I would do the same thing, I even joined a gym, thinking I would use this in the evenings to take up some of my evening time, but nope!  The gym did not get utilized as I thought! 

But know this!  You will get there !  I am just now starting to change my evening routine, I am at almost 5 months of my quit!   I'm sure it's different for everyone, but for some it takes extra time to become stronger!  Do not be hard on yourself for it!

Sandy

Mandolinrain

Hi   Throw some ice water on your beautiful face...take a cold shower and walk...worked for me

FYI...all normal what your experiencing though. Hang in there, this too shall pass

cat52

I feel the exact same way! I feel lazy and unproductive since I quit 21/2 weeks ago! I was like you in that a cigarette was a reward for accomplishing a task. I find I can not get  motivated to do things with the thought that it will not end with a cigarette. I know keeping busy would keep my mind off cravings, but I am really having difficulty getting started with anything. I am going to work on finding an alternative reward for myself - not sure what though. Let me know if you find something that helps, and I will do the same! Cat 52

Sandy-9-17-17

cat52‌   Just wait it out, it will get better.  I remember one time I quit years back, and I couldn't find my way off the couch only to eat, and go to the bathroom!  For 2 weeks!  

Lisaml

Yes!!! Great idea!