cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Opidfght

Last try to quit smoking help?

Hi everyone new to this so please bear with me. I have tried to quit smoking for over 2 years can't seem to make it passed the 4 month period . Any advice about this would be GREAT!  I've made my new quit date to be 2/10 I'm going to need a lot of support going cold turkey this time no help from nicotine aids .

7 Replies
anaussiemom

Hi opidfght

Do you have some good support systems in place?  
Read lots.  
Best place to go for quick", awaking insight is whyquit.com.   You do not need to be a member to feed your brain. Important facts with hurdles... 4 months" etc.  It is at your fingertips. 

This is a great place for support and info as well.  

It's a bit easier, to navigate at whyquit.com.   MOO

Welcome, we will support you no matter what.

~Kim

0 Kudos
Roller831

Welcome!  It sounds like you are getting caught in NML (No Man's Land).  Have no fear...this is a great community and many of us are here to help.

There is a great blog out there for our new quitters.  For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too)‌.  You may also want to check out posts in Best of EX‌.  We are here to help you on this journey to freedom!  

Welcome!  I know when I first found this site, many Elders told me to read read read….and I did.  Elders are those with one or more years of being quit.  If you like what someone has to say, then you may want to read their blogs.  I have some listed below.

A list of our Elders  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2017/06/18/elders-list-ao-december-7-2016 

So here's the thing.....and you may not like what I am about to say....and that's ok.  I get it.  You need to accept that this is an addiction.  Before you do that, it will be much more difficult to quit and stay quit. 

Read read read.  Do the steps to PREPARE yourself to quit.  Do the steps so you are PREPARED on quit day and for the days AFTER quit day.  

Some of the things I read in my first few days that helped me:

JonesCarpeDiem Dale’s Welcome to New Members My Welcome To New Members (10 Years Of Watching) 

YoungAtHeart Nancy’s Blog /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke 

JonesCarpeDiem Dale’s Blog /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

JACKIE1-25-15 gave me the link to Alan Carr’s book, “Easy Way to Quit Smoking”.  I actually didn’t read the online PDF, but purchased a book on CD from Amazon and listened to it in my car over and over again for the first two weeks of my quit. 

Keep this site close and keep posting and asking for help.  You will get it.  You will get things you like and things you don't like, but don't give up!!!  We have been through similar experiences and can share our strength and hope.  We are here to support you!

I look forward to seeing your Day One become a Day WON!  There is lots of great information for that post 30 days as well and the months where you are in NML.  One step at a time.

Roller

diamond01

Hi, you can do it, that is where I failed last time, now I am at 5 months and 8 days, you just have to dig your feet in and say I won't smoke because it is so easy to light up, for me now smoking is not a option I know I can't smoke, just tell yourself if you want to be on oxygen, I don't so look at it that way. Helen. 

0 Kudos
Roller831

Helen - We are here to help so you don't have to white knuckle it.  Check out https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/114191-nml-in-betweener-weekly-check-in-252018?sr=search&...‌.  There is a weekly check in for those just like you in months 4-5-6 of their quit!

0 Kudos
minihorses

welcome!.jpg

Helen, you CAN do this!  This time CAN be different.  I was at my last straw as well.  Two things have changed since the other million quits of a few weeks, a few months, a year here and there mostly when I got pregnant and for 3 months after.  I went on Chantix because I get sick for a month when I quit and the Ex community.  We will support you through all the ups and downs.  The people here truly care about you so you can feel free to post your darkest feelings, lord knows I have, without judgement just wonderful support.  Read what the elders suggest it will really help.  I'm looking forward to seeing you here SUCCEEDING!

Julie

0 Kudos
Giulia

That three or four month period can be a tricky time.  I gave up at least two quits at the three-month mark.  Knowing your weakness for that period, you just need to figure out WHY you tend to relinquish your quit at that time.  For me, I think I was just tired of fighting the cigarette thoughts and cravings (even thought they had lessened considerably) and an opportunity arose whereby I could have just that ONE.  Bummed it from someone.  And then of course smoked for the next X number of years.  Once I became educated about the addiction I was prepared.  I learned that I can't have "just one."  Nor can I smoke for just this party, or event.  Simply is not possible for me, and for most of us who are addicted to cigarettes.  That knowledge enabled me to have what I have now which is almost a 12 year quit.  

Once you think about the WHY you relinquish your quit, you need to determine the HOW to get over the hump of relapse.  That too is simply a matter of education.  You'll find that support is one of the keys.  At least it was for me.  There's a wealth of information on this site.  Not just the PLAN side, but the community side.  You can start anywhere.  You can go to the Elder's List and click on someone's link and start reading their blogs from beginning to end.  You can go to the Best of EX.  You can type "Relapse Traps" into the community search box  and read through that material.  You can just hang out here daily and read the blogs and be a part of the conversations taking place here.  THAT's your best teacher.

I'm a cold turkey quitter.  Actually a Smart Turkey  quitter.   The only thing I needed was a support site.  You can get past that 4 month period.  Easiest way to do that is to set a goal for FIVE MONTHS!  lol  And keep a sense of humor about you all the way.  It'll help!  Quitting is serious business.  But ya gotta find some fun along the way!  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/laughter-is-the-best-medicine 

0 Kudos

A Newbie here too...Just read the No Man's Land and believe that is what derailed me several times in the past decade.... I'll be here! Failing this time isn't an option or a Tool in my box of assistance. Put together, as I prepared for this journey. Lots of support,information and assistance here. Glad you're here.