Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

anaussiemom

Green Tea Fact Or Fiction

I'm going to give it a try.   

The Claims

Several manufacturers market green tea products specifically aimed at individuals looking to quit smoking. One manufacturer claims drinking its tea helps replace the physical habit of smoking -- instead of having a cigarette, you have cup of tea. This, it says, is key to breaking the psychological addiction of cigarettes. The manufacturer also claims its product helps reduce anxiety, relieve stress, control appetite, increase energy and detoxify the body and lungs.

What the Research Says

Science supports many of the claims made by the smoking cessation tea manufacturers. Green tea contains an amino acid called L-theanine, which the author of a review published in "Science China Life Sciences" in May 2010 says has a calming effect. Plus, in combination with the caffeine in green tea, L-theanine enhances the ability to switch attention and ignore distraction. This could help smokers deal with cravings better. In a study published in the same issue of the journal, researchers looked at the effects of replacing a regular cigarette filter with a green tea filter. After using the tea filters for two months, the 70 study participants had reduced cigarette consumption by nearly 60 percent, and over 30 percent had quit. In addition, researchers note that components in green tea help protect cells from toxicity induced by smoking
.#Greentea

19 Replies
anaussiemom

NO!  Not as filters yuk!  I dont recommend that as part of this topic.
  I mean drinking it for calming effects and helping in panic and urges.  
     Curious if anyone felt it worked for them and such..

0 Kudos
Tanua

I have been using the green tea for inflammation reduction. I have quit smoking to help my RA. I know the urge to quit smoking is easier this time. I’m not sure if it’s the green tea or not. I read that 4-5 cups a day greatly reduces the risk of cancer so I’m going to drink more green tea  

cat52

Let me know how it works- I am always looking for strategies to reduce stress!!

anaussiemom

I added some raw honey, green tea, milk, and tea bag of chenille" (sp.) tea.    Honestly  I feel full and relaxed at this moment.   Gotta get thru rest of day. 
So far it's been an easy doable.    Deep-Breathing has been essential for me, to get thru flight.   Deep Breathing, It is helping me fight.

It is very difficult having a store across the street from me.   Makes it tuff".  

So far I pat myself, with kudos!!

Mandolinrain

Alls I can say is that I am a tea drinker of many kinds and green tea  does relax me...but most tea does. Full of antioxidants which is good news for skin, so I say what have you to lose by trying ?

anaussiemom

Eggzactly!!

Giulia

Green tea is supposed to be VERY GOOD for you.  I find the strong, unflavored ones help as an appetite suppressant.  Let us know if it helps.

anaussiemom

I try really hard to find the real deal, have bee green tea, black tea, raw unfiltered honey, etc... Sometimes around here its not easy.  I think I have a strong real black green tea...Bigalow or something like that.  

I get turned off by processed foods.  Wish I felt that way about sicklettes working on it though

Lisaml

Details, please, madam.  

Id appreciate even a brand recommendation as my appetite is RAVENOUS. 

31 days no smoking, 5 pounds increase. There are not enough spin and Zumba classes to keep up with my appetite. I'm like a 15 year old boy. 

The tea aisle is intimidating!!! Too many choices;-) 

thanks in advance! 

Lisa