cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kpnbo

Encouragement please

So, I am 6 and a half months quit and am having strong cravings once again. I don't have anybody to say keep going or you can do it so I am looking for some encouragement here.  Thank you!

Tags (1)
17 Replies
Tabbiekat

6 1/2 months is awesome, I am only 3 months behind you and I never want to pass you up so keep holding tight to your quit. Treat yourself with some "me" time and even if it is for a few minutes do something for yourself.

You can do it, hold tight to your quit

Tabbie

anaussiemom

Oh my Congrats.  Hell ya keep going.  Tell yourself I dont do that anymore.  Breathe deep 5 x,  You got this!!

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

Phone

800-QUIT-NOW (800-784-8669)

All states have quitlines with counselors who are trained specifically to help smokers quit. Call this number to connect directly to your state’s quitline. Hours of operation and services vary from state to state. 

877-44U-QUIT (877-448-7848)

The National Cancer Institute’s trained counselors provide information and support for quitting in English and Spanish. Call Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Eastern time.  

0 Kudos

those are no longer cravings but simply memories of smoking being sparked by something you're doing that you used to smoke after or during.  you're going through your first year and you're relearning life as a former smoker.  Like in my case I always had my reward cigarette.  that was my pat on the back for a job well done.  I had one of those during the summer waiting in the early evening for the dogs to do their business and the lightening bugs came out.  Whoosh, a so-called craving hit me, but I knew it was only a memory I had of smoking.  for years and years I sat out there enjoying the light show smoking my full head off.  I know I have 43 years of memories of smoking, but that's okay by me because that's simply all they are..... memories

JACKIE1-25-15

I am glad that you came here when you needed help.  Please know that sometimes when we get to milestones that addictive brain tries to raise its head to see how strong you really are.  Remember the saying once an addict always an addict.  This is another one of those times to recognize that you are an addict and "one puff" will set you back and you do not want to go there.  You have to go back to basics, tool kit, being close to the site.  Do not be complacent and take your quit for granted.  It is a continued process for the rest of your life.  As time passes it gets betters  Six Months is Huge keep going to reach the goal of 12 months.  Keep that on your horizon.  This is too shall pass.  Keep on keeping on. You have the tools use them.  Breathe. 

Verghese

I am one of the new members and am still actively going through cravings every few minutes and all those withdrawal sysmptoms.  Your 6.5 months is so awesome it is not worth resetting and having to go through all the initial pains that i am going through.  YOU GOT THIS! Congratulations on already achieved something amazing, 6 months is a big deal.

AnnetteMM

YAY! You certainly came to the right place! I don't have six months yet, so from my perspective you are doing AMAZING!!

Roller831

Hi!  I am 7 1/2 months quit and I agree you are probably not having cravings because there is no nicotine in your system, but the memories are what can be getting to you.  I felt similarly a couple of months back and realized these feelings came when I used to have a cigarette...a form of reward for a job well done.  Ug.  The best thing that happened as a result was the awareness of what it truly was and how to recognize it so it didn't trip me up.  

I focused on creating NEW memories of not smoking purposefully at certain times and that seemed to help.

You've got this.  You know in your heart you don't want to throw away 6 months and start over at Day One.  Chalk it up to memories and not cravings and that may help as well.

Roller

Kpnbo

Oh my goodness. You all are fantastic!  Thanks for answering me!  What a huge help. 

You are right about the craving being a memory. Never saw that before. Now that I know

i can handle it differently. Thank you again everyone!