cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Lisaml

Chantix issues

I stopped chantix a few days ago for unpleasant nightmares. (I had already decreased to 1/day) 

HOWEVER, my urges to smoke are lighting up like crazy. 

Has anyone gone through rough issues with chantix? Is there a way to continue taking it and combatting the bad thoughts/nightmares?!  I'm wondering if taking it in the morning would help? 

Or should I just throw in the towel completely (on the chantix) 

Any advice appreciated! 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

I have never taken Chantix but I did use the patch and had very vivid, strange dreams in the beginning.  Not sure if it was a side effect of the patch or nicotine withdrawal.  Is there a way to decrease your dosage to see if you can lessen the bad effects while keeping the good?

bonniebee

strange dreams o  the patch are caused by wearing it all night . I had to take it off an hour before bedtime because it also kept me from falling asleep easily .

shashort

I used Chantix for a short period only 3 weeks. I took them for the 1st week and kept smoking and it really decreased the desire to smoke. I had problems with not sleeping and severe nausea. I forced myself to stay on them for the 1st 2 weeks of my quit to get me through the rough spots and then decided it wasn't worth the side effects, stopped the Chantix and faced the craves head on.  If I remember right the directions was 2 a day after the first week. Not sure if one a day will help you or not. Worth a try taking it in the morning and see if nightmares decrease. I never used the patch but if it gets too rough that is an option too. You could ask the your Doctor or Pharmist if you can cut them in half and take smaller doses through the day or take the 2 doses in the morning, but don't do that unless you ask professional advice first.  The cutting in half I read about early in my quit and not sure it was Doctor approved, but like I said check with Doctor 1st as you don't want worse reactions.

Tabbiekat

I never took the 2 pills, initially I did the white pills, and then just cut one blue pill in half and took half with breakfast and the other half with dinner. I got tired of cutting the pills so I just took the single pill with either breakfast or lunch. If you only took it in the evening I would say try taking it in the morning. You might also want to try cutting it in half and just doing a half pill in the morning for a few days, if that works to keep the smoking urge at bay and not give nightmares then just stick with that for a few months or do half for a few days then take a full pill.

I had vivid dreams, nothing I would call a nightmare though. I also made a point not to watch the nightmare developing tv shows or graphic books at night time. I always read 30+ minutes before going to bed so maybe just having "happy" thoughts in your mind will help curb the nightmares. Also you might see if your doctor could prescribe wellbutrin/bupropion either by itself or to go with the Chantix. It is something my doctor suggested I try if the Chantix didn't work.

Hope you can figure something out

MichelleDiane

I actually am on the patch, but take it off an hour or so before I go to bed.  I tend to have vivid dreams as it is and do not want to have them amplified.  I don't know how chantix works, but maybe you can go online to see the specifics on the medication and if taking it in the morning would help you not experience the rough patches during the day and allow you to sleep well at night.  Just a thought.  Keep your quit up you're doing great.

-Michelle

anaussiemom

Honestly,  many of the Chantix issues are very similar to just quitting.  For me NRT"S  just prolong the inevitable.   I actually do pretty good when Im not allowed to smoke in nonsmoking areas.  Best option is a  good pillow fight with someone 20x a day. if need be. Just had one with hubby he has to let me win. Im a woman.   

shashort

anaussiemom  good way to fight a crave! Love pillow fights espescially with my 2 year old grand daughter.

Lisaml

Well chantix isn't NRT, so I'm hoping I'm not prolonging anything;-)))))) but I will taper down when it's time to stop it I guess. Hopefully by then, my smoking memories will be a thing of the distant past!;-) 

0 Kudos
Lisaml

Thanks, guys. 

I took it at 10 am... so here's hoping I sleep nonviolently tonight 😉