cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

SwedishChef

Almost 7 days since quit

Hi folks, I’m new here. My name is Chris. I’m 36. I started smoking about 11 years ago. I’ve tried a few times to quit; Allen Carr workshop, cold turkey, vaping etc... never last more than 3 days before.

But 7 days ago I tried again. I ordered a vape pen for help. My motivation was coming from wanting more physical and spiritual purity.

It has been difficult, but I’m so proud of making it this far. Even though vaping is kind of trading one addiction for another, it’s a good trade in my book. Certainly better than cigarettes.

I haven’t dealt with nicotine cravings because I’m getting it from vaping, but for me, the nicotine withdrawal has always been the easy part - it’s the habits that are hard. It’s hard to know what to do with myself as a non-smoker, but I’ve got so much momentum now and they say the first 2 weeks are the hardest. I’m halfway through that and determined to kick it.

Even though it feels impossible, I believe that I was born a non-smoker, I remember being happy as a non-smoker, and I see so many happy non-smokers daily that I can see that smoking is a lie. I want that freedom for myself, and I want to be free of all the crap that being a smoker entails.

Just sharing my story as it unfolds. I hope I can get support and that I can help others.

Tags (2)
19 Replies
maryfreecig

Even though it feels impossible, I believe that I was born a non-smoker, I remember being happy as a non-smoker, and I see so many happy non-smokers daily that I can see that smoking is a lie. I want that freedom for myself, and I want to be free of all the crap that being a smoker entails.

So true, we really don't need cigarettes to live---happy, sad or anything in between. One day at a time, you can ditch the addiction.

Daniela2016

Hi Chris, welcome to our community!  For me joining here was pivotal in making this quit my last!  Congratulations on taking already many important steps, including the Allan Carr's s workshop, which I guess, much like his book, has taught you about the nicotine addiction!

Yes you are correct, the first week is the hardest, but  I think when we call it that, we include the withdrawals from nicotine, which in your case are not playing (because you are still vaping).

I am not here to judge your choice, it was my go to at the beginning of my quit!  But not once I joined here, and learned that if I don't learn to "unlearn" the hand to mouth habit, I will never really learn to live without a cigarette.

One of our elders told me "vaping, or using the e-cigarette is just smoking with a battery"; the next day I quit vaping.  The intent was to use it as a quit aid, decreasing the level of nicotine, until one day. When I actually realized the truth in Dale's comment, I quit.

Here are some things you can do instead of smoking:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

Please stay close to the site, read as much as you can, blog if you feel in danger to reach for cigarettes, the quitting is not easy, but with commitment and knowledge you can do it!

anaussiemom

Here is an image I use on my screensaver from Mark EX.   He is happy to make  one for anyone who is interested in a screen saver!!!

#101 things to do instead of smoke‌  #Image

anaussiemom

Lcuzivc  smaller.jpg

101 things to do image for screen saver.

sharon110

These work!

0 Kudos
indingrl

Welcome Chris and CONGRATS ON 7 NICOTINE FREEDOM! One day at a time WE will stay quit no matter what TOGETHER! Great job finding your way that is working for you... Everyone does it their way which is a wild variety of ways....no worries whats works for you is fantastic keep on keeping on NOT ONE PUFF OVER YOU... Yahooooooo 

Lisaml

Hi Chris! Congrats on 7 days;-) 

looking forward to hearing your future success days!!!   ❤️

Lisa 

(day 29. Ish.) 

shashort

Hi Chris welcome to the community. This is a great place for support and education. . Congratulations on the decision to quit smoking and being 7 days into freedom. Keep going forward. 

susan_m

Hey Chris!  Welcome!  How awesome that you beat your previous 3 day record. That's really terrific!!

Glad to see you joined us.  The connections I made here really helped me quit. 

Blog often....we'll be waiting to hear more about your progress!  

When you're on here next, look under "celebrations and events" for the daily pledge. It's awesome to affirm your commitment each day.

Susan