cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MichelleDiane

Trying to avoid a derailment

Amazing how things can turn around in the span of a minute.  All was going well today.  Busy, not thinking about smoking and when I did it didn't cause any strong reactions.  But in that one minute I wanted to scream.  Of course my director would not have been amused.  I can't really go into what came onto my tracks to disrupt my daily journey, but I will say that I am reaching out to get that object out of the way to avoid a derailment.  I have one more client and then will be alone to drive home through harsh emotions.  I know I am vulnerable, not just because of this, but because I am so new in my quit.  I know in my heart of hearts that I cannot go through another day one.  One thought keeping my feet where they are, aside from having one more client, is that I know if I have even one I will most likely never give up smoking.  This has to be my forever quit.  Thanks for any help.

-Michelle

Tags (1)
26 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

Dear you have 32 wonderful days - and I am sure hard earned days.  Please do not give it up for "just one".  We all know there is no such thing.  In my 3-1/2 plus years here, I have seen it over and over again - people throw away a very good quit for "just one" and they, more often than not, are not ever able to get their momentum back.  It's just not worth it - tomorrow do you want to see 33 days on your counter or 0?  I am betting on you making it to 33!

MichelleDiane

Jennifer-Quit-05-01-14 I am holding tight.  I really just want to cry, but I don't want to smoke.

ninepatch

NOPE - Not one puff ever.  Sounds like you know that just one puff is not going to do.  Now you just need to distract yourself.  Deep Breathing, drinking some nice cold water, bite a lemon.......and many other things that can distract you.

But most important is "you don't do that anymore"  You don't smoke.  Pledge right now that you will not.  The first couple weeks are the toughest.  You CAN do this.   NOPE!

MichelleDiane

Ninepatch_7_27_12., no I don't do that anymore.  I am working through this one breath at a time.

anaussiemom

Don't be so hard on yourself.   That addiction"""" is telling you, to worry, sweat, Your gonna fail, etc...

Lisaml

My friend, if you were to cave in and smoke on day 32, 

heres what happens;

1. You still have to drive home with those harsh emotions

2. Whatever caused your derailment will be still there. 

3. Your heart rate would prob jump high, you'd get dizzy and clammy and feel like sh^@&

You also would get nauseated. 

4. You'd likely be SO Pissed at yourself. You'd have thrown it away for "just one"- just one what? One minute of feeling pukey and dizzy.... and adding a FAILED quit to the things that are upsetting you? 

NOPE. That's not gonna happen, girl. 

You are so much stronger than that. You've developed tools to deal with this. You will NOT smoke. 

Not today, not tonight, not on the drive home. 

Not in a house, not with a mouse, not in a box, not with a fox....

BIG love ❤️ 

stay strong!!!!

Sandi4

Michelle- I’m so sorry that you hit a rough patch today and I’m praying that you’re feeling better

I don’t know if this will help but here goes. When I have a moment similar to what you described  and find myself mourning the loss of my cigarettes as just another thing to be upset about, I turn it around. Instead of mourning those things, I celebrate their departure from my life. I think of seeing my girl grow up. I think of how much more I’ll be able to push my body when I work out. I think of how I don’t walk in work reeking of perfume and mints knowing full well that I’m not fooling anyone. Does thinking positive help every time? Nope. But it helps more times than it doesn’t. You know what else? Sometimes you just need a good cry. I’ve always believed that.  My friends used to tease me about it but now they’ve come to see the beauty of a cleansing cry. I think we should all should allow ourselves to feel what we’re feeling. Of course within reason. I have a coworker I want to slap most days and I refrain....but I digress...LOL.

I’m here for you along with all these other wonderful people.  Lean on us when you need to.

Sandi

MichelleDiane

Hello everyone.  I did make it home without smoking.  I didn't stop at a store or gas station.  I was not happy on the ride home, but did think about how nice it will feel to put on my clean, freshly washed pajamas.  That's one of the things that I look forward to at the end of each smoke free day.  I appreciate everyone reaching out.  I really needed it.  The problem is still here and I don't really feel good about it.  My stomach is in knots and I just want to go to bed.  I did make it through the initial postponement of my train ride though, so that's positive.  I really don't want to smoke.  So I won't.  Thanks, Sandi4, anaussiemom, Lisaml, Ninepatch, Jennifer-Quit, et al.  Fighting for my quit and you've helped me do that today.

-Michelle

elvan

You can do this, you have been so strong and so helpful to others, including me.  There are always going to be bad days and threats of derailment, there are always going to be challenges, that is why we keep it in today.  It is REALLY hard to restart a quit and the thought of it is horrifying.   Remember OldBones-Larry‌ "One step and then another will get you to where you want to be."

Hold you in my thoughts.

Love.

Ellen