cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jcalabr

Feeling anxiety even after 3 months

I quit 3 months and 5 days ago and after 35 years of smoking it’s a miracle. Does anyone besides me have low level anxiety all the time? Not cravings. I know what that feels like.  I just feel tense and a slight feeling of doom. Im worry about my own mortality now. So anyone got something like this and does it end? 

14 Replies
TW517

Yep, same with me.  Had anxiety and depression like I had not experienced in 15 years or more.  I kept thinking I would go to the doctor for meds, but it was right at one of my 2 extremely busy times of year for my business, and I never got around to making an appointment.  It finally just went away after about 5 months.  I think my workload actually helped.  I had become lethargic and lost motivation to get anything done.  But as workload dramatically increased, I had no choice but to get my butt in gear.

Tabbiekat

Congrats on your  3 months & 5 days, I am in a similar spot- 93days in. Happy about having quit, craves are not really an issue, but something.....you don't know if you should laugh, scream or cry kinda feeling for me. I went through the mortality thing in early January, but my husband had a cardiac ablation so that was fueling me at that point. You are in No man's land. If you search or even check the main  page you will see the check in for NML or in betweeners, those have links of previous quitters who have been in similar situations. As with the roller coaster of emotions you are feeling, of course they are normal because you are feeling them. Now if after a couple of months the feelings start getting worse or just don't go away or if at anytime you start making plans to reach your own mortality please contact your doctor and let them know what is going on.

Hold tight to your quit

Tabbie

Barbara145

Did you really think after smoking for 35 years you would have everything worked out in 3 months?  Life does not work that away.  Hang in there.  You are doing great.  Little by little things just keep getting better after you quit smoking.

anaussiemom

Jcalabr  It is the addiction talking.! Try  a small amount of comfort food; Such as banana, small bowl of cereal. You tell the addiction you don't do that anymore.!  Give it as little thought as possible.  Feed the anxiety with something positive, bath, shower, walk, reading, crochet, knitting all help calm you down.   Your doing great!

Yup, and that's perfectly normal.  Let's put it in context.  You're relearning how to cope with life all over again during the first year.  Before when we got angry, we lit up.  We got sad, we lit up.  We got frustrated, we lit up...... oh, the list goes on and on and on.  When the anxiety really hits, just think to yourself what's bringing this on?  Is it a birthday, anticipation of a family gathering, a new job or simply just boredom.  those sparks are clues for you.  Before too long, you'll learn to simply smile when they hit because you're so happy you don't do that anymore.  I went to McDonald's the other day for some coffee, a little treat for myself that I do once a week as a reward and there was someone out there smoking.  Now, around about 2 years ago, I'd be having some major anxiety because I felt I was cheated.  Then we move forward to where you are now, you're feeling like this is never going to end, when is this going to get easier.  Then we move forward to my quit over 2 years and I just simply thought, man, that smells.  that's all.  it just smelled.  Here's some reading for you in my own story /blogs/crazymama_Lori-blog/2016/07/26/easier-said-than-done-if-i-had-a-nickel-every-time-i-heard-tha... , /blogs/crazymama_Lori-blog/2017/09/13/run-run-as-fast-as-you-can?sr=search&searchId=063ff7f3-b536-45... , https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/general-support/blog/2018/01/17/trust-the-process?sr=searc... , When the light switch turned on.  Another really good blog to read is one I personally have bookmarked and still refer to it from time to time /blogs/Giulia-blog/2008/10/12/wise-words-that-helped-me-when-i-first-quit written by one of our members here.  I know it helped a great deal for me to go back to the elder's profile and go back to the point where I was in my quit, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and read what they went through.  It will give you some insight and know that this is just part of the process and it really does get better and better

anaussiemom

Love the links.   Those links are so supportive and powerful. 

95 days?

You're still in NML.

See how you feel in another month.

0 Kudos
Giulia

I'm 68.  Worry about my own mortality too now.  LOL  Seriously, it seems natural to me that we should become more aware of our mortality when we quit.  Why?  Because we want to live longer!  And we've actually DONE something to make that happen.  So we're more conscious of our aliveness and living and also  thus departing.  If that makes any sense.  

You say you have low level anxiety all the time.  Are you taking any steps to alleviate it?  Have you tried any relaxation meditations?  Exercise can also help relieve stress.  Listening to soothing music.  Four square breathing.  Etc.  Try different things, experiment.  I always found the three month period to be a critical one for me.  Do you keep a journal/diary?  Sometimes just writing about how you're feeling can help alter it's course.  

It's ironic that you feel a sense of "doom" when you've taken one of the most positive steps in your life.  Does success make you feel afraid?  Don't be afraid that this feeling will last forever.  Quitting brings up all sorts of  emotional schtuff in us.  Time usually changes it though.  Stay the course.  Giving up your quit certainly won't make you feel less anxious.  You can do this!

maryfreecig

Yes. I found that I was trying to replace what nicotine had done for me with other things or by staying busy. But I felt disappointed that these things did not make me feel as good as the nicotine--understanding why I felt this way comes from hindsight. I kept running from one thing to the next as if trying to out run my dependency on nicotine or in desperate hope that I would like something else as much. Boy did it take time to stop running and face my quit head on--face smobriety as is. Big hug atcha and praying that you find the reward of quitting comes right up to you in a big way---putting a big smile on your face and a sigh of relief in your heart.