cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

freenhappy03

Keep starting again.

I stop for a few weeks then smoke for 1 day then stop again. The guilt kills me the next day. How do I get over the hump?

22 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

It has got to be torture to keep starting over again and again.  Why not try to get over that initial hump and keep on not smoking?  Give it a try - that is what keeps me going some days - I simply don't want to start on day one again.

Make a plan - of what to do besides smoke - the possibilities are really endless.  Take a walk, take a bubble bath, do a puzzle, play a game, read a book, cook a good dinner, call a friend, write a blog on becomeanan, read other people's blogs on becomeanex, go shopping, go to the zoo, etc.  You get it - do whatever is necessary to NOT smoke!

anaussiemom

Try the Alan Carr book on smoking, it is very insightful.  You may find it very helpful in some of your questions.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

By not taking a single puff and making a commitment that no matter what you will not smoke.  Make a vow that you will do something else.

MarilynH

You must believe in yourself and be willing, determined and totally committed to succeed then you'll be successful one precious Smokefree Day at a time or hour minute or even a second at a time then each day you get through is another Day WON but you must stick with your precious quit.....

Mandolinrain

Actually I did the same thing. 

Understanding the WHY behind the addiction was what finally got me . It was the key that changed everything for me.

Read Allen Carr’s book, The Easy Way to stop smoking. His book explains it well and it’s a fast read. 

You’ll eventually get tired of going around the same ole mountain and dig your heels in and quit. But meanwhile read the book and get familiar with the tools that will help you have a successful quit that’s permanent. Your chances of staying quit depend on the time knowledge and real effort you put forth to understand the WHY.

Good luck and glad your here.

Giulia

I think you get over the hump by educating yourself about this addiction.  AND by making  a dedicated commitment to becoming smoke free.  

Why do you feel guilty?  Let's think about that for a bit.  Do you feel guilty because you know smoking is harming you and you still can't commit to quitting it?   Or are you feeling guilty because you've said "today I'm going to QUIT" and then give in?  Do you feel guilty because you have loved ones who care about you and want you to quit?  

Guilt is not a positive motivating factor that makes for a long-term quit.   So - what is?  Well, I'd ask you - why are you here?  What is that motivating force that caused you to come here and sign up and be a part of this site and on-line support community?  Plug into THAT.  Because that is the BEST part of you.  The part of you that knows better.  That is the wisest and most self-loving part of you.

How do you get over the hump?  By self-discipline, commitment, by accepting your choice to quit, by keeping an open spirit and open mind to learning, by a willingness to grow and change and adapt and develop and transform yourself into the New YOU that you will become as a non smoker.  Pretty daunting, eh?  Yes.   But that's what this quitting journey is about.  Can you do it?  That depends upon you and whether you're willing to take on this journey and say no to craving - no matter what.

You get over the hump by sticking with your commitment - no matter what and no matter how long it takes.  Agree to THAT and you'll find there is no hump at all.  The hump actually lies in the fact that you haven't yet closed the door on the option to smoke.  When it becomes a non-option for you - the hump will be gone.  

IrishRose

Extremely well stated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
freenhappy03

You sound very wise. I think you have many good points for me to ponder.  Thanks for the input!!