cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gmcculloch

N.O.P.E. from now on

I had my last cigarette at 10 PM last Friday the 26th.  40 hours in and so far so good. This is the first time I have gone cold turkey. I had always used the patch to help the withdrawal symptoms, but after reading Freedom From Nicotine and The Easy Way to Stop Smoking, I made the decision that was not the best way this time.  So far, cravings have been tolerable and are gone in a few minutes. I have not had trouble sleeping but do have a slight headache and have to admit that I am very cranky. Anger seems to be the worst symptom and I am hopeful that will subside soon. By tomorrow at 10 PM I will have made it through the first 3 days. For me, that is when the real work comes in. Staying off has always been my challenge but I never had this site before. I will be checking in often and will not forget my new mantra of Not One Puff Ever. I am hopeful that this time I know enough to make a difference. Thank you to everyone who helped me get back on track quickly after my relapse two weeks ago. Back to work tomorrow and will check in at the end of the day. To all my fellow quitters, hang in there!

Gina

9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Good for you!  Having to start over one more time is fine......just don't make yourself do it AGAIN!

The nicotine should be mostly out of your system after three days - then it's a period of time for your body to get used to life without it. '

Hang in there!  You are doing GREAT!

Look forward to hearing from you tomorrow evening with another Day Won!

Nancy

maryfreecig

Thanks for sharing your start as of last friday and how it is going. Good to hear of your strong plan to stay connected to Ex and to stay focused on nope. Keep those smober days coming!

AnnetteMM

Welcome! Allen Carr's book made such a difference for me, so glad to hear you read it too. Glad You're Here!

0 Kudos
Silvercindy

Allen Carr book helped me go cold turkey too and not eat all the time. We can do this

Mandolinrain

Proud of you Gina. Cold turkey was my choice as well. I did use Vicks Vapor rub under my nose and the vicks inhaler as needed. For me I failed a bunch when I first came to this site.

But I know the reason why...I did not do all the reading and educate myself enough. So my advice to you is to drink this site up as much as time allows. When I FINALLY did...my quit became successful. Your off to a great start.

Missy

JACKIE1-25-15

For me, that is when the real work comes in."  You have the right idea.  Quitting is the easy part.  Protecting your quit is what takes the work.  Stay with your plan and you will be successful.  No matter what never give up. 

indingrl

Excellet job Gina you Go grl keep on keeping on CONGRATS GINA 2 DAYS NICOTINE FREE YAHOOOOOOOO so joy filled for you and thanks for sharing positively and teaching ME to REMAIN quit with you TOGETHER WE WILL STAY QUIT NO MATTER WHAT! 

gmcculloch

90 minutes away from 3 full days so think the worst of the withdrawals is over. Overall, it wasn't too bad. Even though I have used the patch in the past, I knew what to expect so things didn't really catch me off guard. Sounds odd to say it but being sick actually was helpful. Whatever I have has settled in my chest so throat still hurts and coughing a lot. It makes me notice my breathing more and since I am sore from coughing I feel good about not adding any smoke to the problem. I am wanting to eat more this time around and nothing seems to be satisfying. I know I am not hungry so trying to eat tons of fruits and veggies - but a big tub of Cherry Garcia sounds really good right now! 

Still kind of in a strange place mentally with the loss of my Godson 2 weeks ago but not feeling like I need to smoke. Now that the nicotine is gone it's time for the real work to begin. Staying off for the long haul has always been my issue but this time I feel better equipped with all the resources and support from this site. 

NOPE from now on!

gmcculloch

5 full days! Work has been super busy which has helped. I haven't really been able to get on the site this week to keep poking for tips but what I have so far has been tremendously helpful.  Freedom from Nicotine and The Easy Way to Quit Smoking were fantastic resources and have made a big difference for me so far. Still getting cravings but not as often and I can distract myself long enough for them to pass. Weight gain is a new side effect for me this time. My age and metabolism are not what they used to be. I have been trying to walk more but my dogs are not really on board with the temps in the teens and 20's. Next step will be losing weight. For now, leaving cigarettes behind has to be my focus.  For me this journey has to be one day at a time. I made it 10 years smoke free once before and I am determined to do it again. I hope to be able to get on the site this weekend and encourage others who are just starting their NOPE life! 

0 Kudos