cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

rbrown53

How long are cravings constant and severe?

#The longest I had stopped before was three months and during that time the cravings were constant and severe. Is this normal and what can I do?

16 Replies
indingrl

Welcome and CONGRATS to you for asking questions...Dr Hays has a blog on cravings click on Expert Advice. keep on keeping on too rbrown53 you doing GREAT!!!

0 Kudos
rbrown53

Thank you I've tried so many times before I that I;m scared of another failure.

indingrl

You are NOT alone I failed tons of trying on MY OWN .... NOW I take ALL the SUGGESTIONS given to ME today and READ DR HAYS EXPERT ADVICE ON TRIGGERS OR ON THE MIND NEW THINKING.... Dr Hays has years of PROFESSIONAL ADVICE working for years with NICOTINE addicts.... its your CHOICE rbrown53 to face your fears of the unknown and believe with NEW hope and YOUR CHOOSING a NEW life style to live Not One Puff Ever... aka N.O.P.E!  IF you rbrown53.... BELIEVE.... WE... more than you OLD way of thinking ... NEW way of thinking it is a better healthier CHOICE than doing it alone... WE is stronger and easier to face OUR FEARS of the unknown TOGETHER... you rbrown53 are doing it !!!! CONGRATS!  

minihorses

Trust me, I highly doubt this is the first quit for many people here. I'm calling this quit my millionth time because I have literally quit more times than I can remember, but this time will be different.  It will be the last time I have to go through this thanks to the Ex community.  In the past I quit for a day, a week, a month, several months, a year, I think the longest was 15 months.  Why did I go back to the death sticks? Various reasons and situations that triggered my mind that I wanted a smoke.  We all know that smoking just one can lead the way back to a pack a day all too quickly.  I was terrified to stop smoking, to never being 'able' to smoke again, and failing one more time breaking a promise to my family, the millionth promise I made to stop.  But this time will be different.  This time I'm in control because this time I have educated myself about the psychology of quitting smoking.  Once we're through the physical withdrawal symptoms, the rest is 'all in our heads'.  I now know my triggers, I know more about my how my moods affect me and try to convince me that I want to smoke.  The difference between this quit and all the other ones is all the knowledge I've gained from this site and the support from all these glorious, wonderful people on Ex.  Being scared of failure CAN work in your favor.  It CAN open your eyes to the reality of how badly your are addicted to the nicodemon.  Once your eyes are open you can begin the learning and healing process.  Yes I still have a craving pop up from time to time, sometimes every day depending on my mood, but I can identify why I'm having it and how to think and act to defend myself from giving in to it.  You CAN do this if you learn as much as you can, get support, and ASK FOR HELP!  Pobody's Nerfect so if you slip, don't get mad or discouraged.  Put your pants back on one leg at a time and march forward from there.  We're here for you.

Julie

92 Glorious days without a monkey on my back

maryfreecig

Recommending 12 minute video --link below.

This video was produced by a doc in Canada and he offers an overview of quitting in the most sensible (it is not a how to, or why to, or must do video --but a focused and understandable) What is the Single Best Thing You Can Do to Quit Smoking? - YouTube 

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Thank you for posting maryfreecig‌, I liked his summary and it might be helpful at any time during our journey!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Sounds to me like you were "white knuckling" your quit; fighting with yourself over and over not to smoke and you plumb wore yourself OUT! There is ANOTHER way.   I wrote a blog a bit ago that you might find helpful:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/109313-for-our-new-years-quitters-and-community-members-t... Education, preparation, planning and commitment (not willpower!) are the cornerstones of a successful quit.  I think you will be amazed at what you don't know about this addiction, and about why willpower is not the answer to quitting.

Get busy reading!  I am glad you are here - we can help!

Nancy

rbrown53

Thank you

0 Kudos
minihorses

Welcome rbrown53!  In answer to your first question, unfortunately yes you WILL have those cravings.  Each person's withdrawal symptoms and cravings are different, I get physically sick for a month or so.  If you are concerned that you might not be able to stay quit then I suggest nicotine replacement therapy (patch, gum, medications like bupropion (Wellbutrin) or Chantix).  I personally am on Chantix and would probably be already smoking again without it. It has been a game changer. Combined with this community you'll have a lifesaver.  As long as you remember that none of those NRTs are a magic bullet to stop smoking but they are a good aid.  You can do this, we are living proof that anyone, anywhere, any condition, any age, any disability, any how, can stop poisoning themselves with a drug addiction.  Stay close!

Julie

89 Days of Freedom!