cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MichelleDiane

Breathe in Breathe Out

Wow.  It's amazing how one day can be so different from the next day.  I'm struggling a little today.  Once again that uneasy feeling has crept in.  I know it has something to do with the disruption of my sleep.  I've had a difficult time falling asleep over the past week and I get up two to three times during the night.  I did massive deep breathing this morning and just made myself some chamomile tea.  I came straight to this community because I know this will help me get over the speed bump.  I get so angry with myself when I even think about going back to smoking.  I don't want to smoke.  I don't need to smoke.  It's like bargaining with the devil.  The price is too deep, so the devil is not winning, but I am trying to climb out of that pit.  I am working to make it another smoke free day, so I can put day 26 in highlights on my calendar, which I do each morning that I've won the day before.  Great vivid colors with the number.  I plan on changing my colors from orange/blue to yellow/green when I hit 1 month of freedom.  I look forward to that, which is helping me through this moment as well as coming to this community where I know everyone is rooting for me.  Thanks for being there.

With love,

Michelle

27 Replies
YoungAtHeart

One of the reasons I stayed quit that first six months is because I KNEW I did not want to put myself through those early days again.  They really are lousy, I know!

But - just keep adding the days - one at a time, and celebrate each!  Maybe it's time to start thinking about what you will get for yourself as a reward at the magic one month mark? 

Seems like the morning is your most difficult time.  What can you do to change up that routine?  Are you drinking your coffee in a place different from usual?  Maybe get right out of bed, put on your tenners and go for a quick, brisk walk - even up and down the sidewalk in front of your place or up and down your driveway, or around the block.  THEN come back and start your tea or coffee, THEN maybe your shower?  The better you get at reducing the associations, the faster it will become easier.

Time, too, is the healer.  As it passes, this WILL get easier, I promise.

Just hang in there!  You are DOING this - and in the end, it will be worth ALL it takes!

Nancy

MichelleDiane

Thanks Nancy.  I did go out on my deck and take long deep breaths of cold air.  I think one of the things that helped was coughing as the air went in.  I have already picked out my gift to myself, which you just reminded me to think about.  I'm doing this one minute at a time today.  Staying in the moment and redirecting my thoughts to other things, but that quick walk outside sounds good.  I will try that tomorrow.  I was able to do my two mile walk two days in a row.  That felt great and I am going to keep it in my mind to remind myself of the gains I have made.  #######you couldn't hear what I just did, but I exhaled with relief.  I'm working this.  Thanks agin.

xxx/ooo

Michelle

Mandolinrain

SLOW breathing in your nose....OUT your mouth. Can you do Yoga or just some nice early morning and evening stretching? Theres many DVDs on it. So good for you and may help replace the stinking thinking that comes with the nasty craves?

Have you tried the Vicks under the nose or the Vicks inhaler? I used them both at the beginning of my quit. I also used a mini tramp during bad days. The added exercise raises dopamine levels and the results are a happier mood

Any change in routine is difficult. You USED to smoke, now you don't, so you have to come up with something preferably healthy to replace those times.

Your doing great and am glad you came here. Stay Strong....you know you don't want another Day One.

Hugs and Prayers~Missy

Sandy-9-17-17

Michelle,

You ARE OUT of that pit, but now, you have to say.... to jump back in, or not to jump back in, to breath easier, or not to breath easier! Sorry, that's my poetry!  Lame, I know!   Shakespear!  To be.....Or not to be....that is the question!  lol!

You are doing all the right things for yourself AND your quit!  It does get easier, I promise you that!  

Do not give in to addiction!!!  Use that strength I read through every weak moment you have!   You will CONQUER every time!  You are so close to your 1 month!  We are all so proud of you, and you must be proud of yourself too!  

Sandy

indingrl

Congrats Michelle 26 NICOTINE FREE days YAHOOOOOO for you!!! Great job and YES I so will relate to what a day as you do ... I am responsible for MY thoughts and feeeeellllliiingggsss as I pick and CHOOSE what to MAKE MY day personalized by ME. Today will be so much better for I WILL CHOOSE MY thoughts MUCH MORE WISELY than MY yesterday for I am learning every day God blessses and gives ME CHOICES and CHANCES and CHANGES in MY NEW mind sets.... just like you my beloved Michelle are CHOOSING WISDOM of SELF to be responsible for YOUR OWN THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS OF NEW RECOVERY life style from nicotine and by the way very well said the Devil is NOT MAKING you DO anything YOU MY BELOVED MICHELLE HAVE FREE WILL TO CHOOSE use or not use NICOTINE just like ME the Devil did NOT make ME use or NOT use nicotine TODAY this day only...WE.... I CHOSE to think NEW and say to ME... MY free will choice to come here and TRY to HELP some one HOPE... you Michelle did that for ME today IF you can STAY quit so can I REMAIN staying quit with you so thanks Michelle great blog and for giving ME hope this day! HOORAY FOR JESUS! Please take what helps and let go of the rest to be HELPFUL is MY only aim! HUGE gentle HOPE hug to you Michelle!   Keep on keeping on

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Thank you for your gentle hug and kind words indingrl  They help greatly.  Side by side I walk with you on our journeys.

Michelle

MarilynH

I mentioned this to you on your comment on my blog this morning, you're pretty much in what we call NML - No Man's Land, where cravings can come out of nowhere but you'll it through and Dale's page concerning the first four months of quitting Will help get through the rough patches, I remember reading his page over and over again and it helped me along with blogging and staying close. 

AnnetteMM

MarilynH and MichelleDiane I'm thinking that the "cravings" are more like nostalgia than actually physical anymore. It's like a sharp memory attacks my brain, but my body is just fine. What do you think?

MarilynH

I think you're right, this addiction really can play some minds games and can play havoc with our brains but with N.O.P.E and vigilance you are doing super fantastic   AnnetteMM stacking up your precious Days WON....