cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cruetf65

Unsure I can quit for good.

I am a senior citizen and recently got diagnosed with CAROTID ARTERY DISEASE. I have read and reread that if one continues to smoke with this condition. A HEART attack or a STROKE soon follows. I have begun quitting. The questions I have are can I quit permanently even though I suffer from anxiety and depression? Also live with one of my sister's who stresses me out big time a lot. Are these just excuses to continue smoking?  Please someone give a hands up?

14 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, yes, those things you listed ARE excuses.  There are NO good reasons to smoke.  I think you will understand this better if you gain some knowledge about this addiction.  I wrote a blog and asked for best advice of our members that you might find helpful:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/109313-for-our-new-years-quitters-and-community-members-t... I recommend you start by reading Allen Carr.

I am also a senior citizen and quit when I was told I had arterial blockages going to both legs.  The surgeon said that if I continued to smoke I would probably need the surgery again but would probably not be healthy enough for him to do it.  The possibility of the loss of one or both of my legs woke me up to the REAL danger I was putting myself in, and I started on Chantix and quit two weeks later.  I have now been free for over 5 years, and it is worth what it takes to get here.

Please start reading!  Ask questions when you have them.  Stay involved here.

You CAN do this - I thought I would die a smoker and I quit - so can you!

Nancy

Daniela2016

I too have anxiety and depression, and about a month ago I became a senior citizen to (if senior starts at 60).  Quitting permanently is possible.  It takes a strong desire to do it, a willingness to learn how to, the flexibility to let yourself guided here by people who might know what you need at different times in your quit, and will gladly share the advice.

You are in the right place, this community helped me quit nearly 2 years ago, and I am positive, even if I quit by myself and joined here at 40 days into my quit, if it were not for this group of wonderful people, I would not be at 685 days of freedom today.

Please do the reading, come back often and speak with us, quitting is possible even after many years of smoking (nearly 40years for me), you are in the right place to meet your health objective!

Welcome!

indingrl

Hello cruelft65. Welcome and please take what helps and let go of the rest to be HELPFUL is MY only aim. Great job asking question and thank you for your courage sharing your fears and stress buttons. Suggestions remember to breath and take your day moment by moment. Read the advice given here by Dr Hays blogs and read all the blogs by those who are STAYING quit no matter what together WE love and remember when WE first quit. YOU GOTTA WANT TO QUIT FOR YOU. It was suggested when I first came to educate MYSELF on MY nicotine using no one else. To take the SUGGESTIONS is your CHOICE. I took ALL suggestions given and did as they said to educated myself on my nicotine use and drank lots of water and ate oranges and put cinnamon on my applesauce and exercised walking for me and found something to do with MY hand to mouth HABIT like an art project or painting or crochet or drawing or piano etc. Suggested to stay on this site reading blogs and writing blogs BEFORE I took that first puff over ME! I stayed on this site the first 90 days. I wrote blogs on my feelings my fears my withdrawal from  nicotine. It was also SUGGESTED to ME to go to a site called whyquit.com to watch the videos of nicotine addiction and I did and watched Byron's video on his early death from nicotine and his video brought ME out of MY denial I admitted I am a nicotine addict. I sent a thank you card to his family for their posting his video helped me to quit by the FACT it would happen to ME if I didnt quit using nicotine. So i cried out to God and I prayed and asked My Lord Jesus... I said of you dont take these cigs from me I will smoke them until I drop dead... i woke the next morning with a cold turkey quit... I used nicotine 38 YEARS.. i tried many many times to quit on MY own ways... I am born again believer since nov 5 1986 and smoke like a chimney at the end of MY using I smoked 50 cigs a day! Only by Gods grace I celebrated 7 years NICOTINE FREE on Jan 6, 2018!!! MY quit date is Jan 6, 2011! So YOU gotta want to quit for YOU! I hope you blog blog blog BEFORE you take ONE PUFF over You! Keep on keeping on and WE will stay quit together ONE DAY AT A TIME! 

anaussiemom

I will be a quit for good on 1/31/2018 

You can do this.  I also suggest the Alan Carr book!

You got this! cruetf65

Bree19

cruetf65

I'm 63 and started my quit last year 27 February.  I have been totally smoke free for over 300 days much to my own surprise.

I am still under a doctor's care for major depression, anxiety and panic attacks (since 1986)..and was sure this would make it impossible for me to quit completely.   

The people on this site sometimes had to walk me through the panic attacks.  But I'm doing it.  One smoke free day at a time and you can do it too.

It boils down to making the decision, setting a comfortable quit date and then educating yourself. 

While you are reading all the valuable information from the members on this site, blog too.  It helps - like keeping a journal of your quit journey but which you share with others walking the same road you are.

And yes, unfortunately they are excuses you have to work at to find your way past them.  Do it for yourself!  Believe in yourself.

Blessings to you.

Bree

maryfreecig

Planning is key to quitting. Support can go a long way in helping you pre-quit and post. Also, nicotine replacement therapy or medication have helped some. I'm neither making a recommendation, just suggesting that you talk to your doctor about those options, surf the net and youtube for info. 

Because this is an addiction, I firmly believe in lots of support from quitters. Especially since you are worried about getting stressed out by your sister--Ex folks are good listeners--you can bring your stuff here.

Part of planning is making a list of things you are willing to do or that you like to do for when an urge hits.

Not everyone who quits has a hard time. Some are relieved and adjust to life without the cigs with relative ease. There is no law that says you must hang on for dear life after quitting. You have a powerful reason to quit. So stay tuned to that and keep gathering good support around you to move you forward.

Yes you can, one day at a time

Giulia

Of course you can quit permanently.  Stressful sister or not.  Think of quitting as a skill.  And like any other skill it just takes education, dedication, understanding, practice, perseverance and especially commitment.  The tools are all here.  All you need to do is use them.  First begin by understanding the nature of this addiction.  Get your quit plan started and make it the focus and priority of your life.  Read the material on the Plan side of the site (My Quit Plan - upper right of the page), as well as the blogs and suggestions offered within the community.  A strong preparation makes for a stronger quit.  

The more you get to know us as individuals on this site, the more the consequences of smoking will become apparent and hit home.  We're here to help.  Glad you reached out.  Stick around!  Chin up.

JACKIE1-25-15

Quitting smoking requires that you make changes both mentally and physically. I had so many to make.  Here is a list of a just a few things that I had to be willing to do.  Hopefully they will give you an insight as to what it takes to become free.

Until I finally realized the importance of the knowledge of nicotine addiction, what’s in a cigarette, etc. my thinking would not have changed about having the “need” to smoke.

Until I learned, studied, practiced self-talk, and relearned my thinking I would still be stuck. 

Until I accepted the fact that I was not losing anything I may fail.

Until I was willing to let it go I would stay on the course of a vicious slow death.

Until I made up in my mind that I was not going to smoke and was totally committed I would fail. 

Until I gave it my all and pledged to myself that no matter what, I would literally not put a cigarette in my hand, not on my lips, not on my tongue, not in my lungs, not in my throat, I will not choke, not up my nose, not in my clothes;  BTW that became one of my theme songs and mantras and I became a nonsmoker. 

Until I gave it my all and learned HALT, NOPE NEF SINAO and had a support group and friends like the EX community I would fail.  

Until I committed daily to study and read the blogs and listen to the advice of the Elders I would fail. 

Until I learned that my quit was the most important thing in my life I failed.   

Until I did it for me and believed that I was a non-smoker I would never become one.  

Until I gave it every part of my inner being through God’s strength, determination, education, perseverance, honesty, forgiveness, soul searching, praying, making friends, singing, crying, laughing, screaming I would fail. 

Until I meant by any means necessary I will not smoke, no matter what I would fail. 

really takes to be smoke free. 

Pinch your sister!  🙂