cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

wbryonb

good question that could help more than just myself if others read it

• I have seen other people try to stop smoking by using other things instead, like using dip, in particular. They usually end up using dip just like they used to smoke getting addicted to the dip. How do I avoid this if I decide to ,lets say use a vape instead of smoking? I mean is nicotine just as potentially dangerous no matter where it comes from?
11 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Your addiction is to the nicotine  and all the mental associations in your life that you have attached to it. Vaping is just mimicking smoking....and that is not going to help with either the physical OR mental aspects of the addiction.  Using chew can lead to mouth cancer, and, again, you are still getting the addictive drug.  You want to break FREE of that!

Here is a blog that I wrote a bit ago with input from our members that you might find helpful:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/109313-for-our-new-years-quitters-and-community-members-t....  After you have done the recommended reading, I think you will be able to make up your own mind on what way forward is going to be best for you.  Be sure to read Allen Carr first - I think you will be amazed at what you don't know about this addiction.

I'm glad you are here.  Let us know if you have questions!

Nancy

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm not sure I understand your question. The subject is a bit confusing. Can you clarify?

Nicotine is the addicting chemical in Cigarettes, Dip and Vaping.

Are you asking if dip is as addicting as smoking? And as addicting as vaping?

Tobacco Ingredients

Harmful Chemicals in Tobacco Products | American Cancer Society 

What's In a Cigarette? | American Lung Association 

Is Nicotine Bad for you? 

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
JACKIE1-25-15

Chewing tobacco: Not a safe product - Mayo Clinic  Education is the key to a successful quit. 

Law of Addiction

"Administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment
of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

NRT's Nicotine Replacement Therapy.  None of these replacements are forever.  Study and decide what is best for you. Seek professional medical  help and advise if necessary. Here is a place to start.  Getting Ready to Quit | My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX 

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

This is my opinion only - nicotine is addictive.  It does not really matter what form you use to ingest it.  I have known people who have been addicted to both smoking and dipping and said that both were hard to quit.  Even though vaping is advertised as a safer alternative to smoking, I am not convinced.  The best way is to quit and not replace smoking with another habit such as dipping or vaping.  I did use nicotine patches but used them as recommended and cut down in strength as recommended.  At the end of 6 weeks - no more nicotine in any form.  I am now a little over 3 1/2 years smoke free.  Again - this is my opinion only. 

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Nicotine does not directly harm you--it's all the other toxic junk in cigs, chew etc that does. Vaping may, as well, because like cigarettes there is a load of crap in vape stuff--only vaping stuff is not required to list ingredients (I may be wrong on this). The jury is out on vaping. It sounds like you want to stay in a smoking like experience. I can only advise you that quitting is not the end of the world, smoking is not everything. If you wish to become a former smoker, to recover from the dependency, help is available. Ex is here 365 days of the week for a starter.

0 Kudos

Many people frown upon the e-cig but in the beginning of my quit, I used one with 0 nicotine and only used it if I was absolutely going to blow my quit. It saved me a few times. I think it was the hand to mouth sensation I was looking for. I also used the patch too.

0 Kudos
Tabbiekat

Nicotine, no matter what form is addictive. I personally started off by trading breath mints for nicotine. A couple of weeks prior to quitting I would actually pop a breath mint into my mouth as I smoked and then after I quit, I kept (and still do) my breath mints where I would normally keep my pack of smokes. If I have a craving I will pop a breath mint, by the time I finish it the craving is gone. I did go from 10-20 breath mints to just a handful a week. Do what works for you.

Sootie

Only MY opinion......quitting smoking can be such a wonderful gift to yourself. Don't give yourself half of the gift. Dipping still has many health drawbacks (not to mention it's pretty gross). Vaping has not been around long enough to know all of the side effects....but let's face it.....our lungs were made for air. We've already "screwed up" by smoking. I think the smart move is to go forward only putting air in your lungs....to apologize for all the damage! This CAN be done without continuing on with the use of nicotine. It takes some work...but it's doable. Look at all of us. We are no different from you and we all did it....YOU CAN TOO!

Stay Strong.

0 Kudos

I'll give you a little bit of my thought after these past few years.  Smoking is a two dimensional process.  You have to habit part (hand to mouth motion) and the addictive substance, nicotine.  Nicotine is the drug in tobacco naturally that reacts with our pleasure center of the brain and gives us that feel good sensation, perceived calmness.  When you no longer have it, you get irritable, restless, you go into withdrawal.  Here's an excellent article written by a member here that I think you should read How Nicotine Changes your Brain‌ and /blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2014/06/18/how-nicotine-addiction-takes-over-and-what-to-do-about-it 

0 Kudos