cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Lisaml

The BEST PART

the best part of being a non smoker is; 

so far, not smelling HORRIBLE. Stopping by without worrying someone would smell smoke on me...or in my car, etc. I had to carefully plan every move I made. 

see, I was a closet smoker of the worst kind. A pack a day and only a handful of family knew. 

That took a LOT of planning and sneaking. 

Therefore, this has been an equally lonely adjustment. 

BUt I sure have enjoyed the decrease in planning, stress, and worrying about getting busted!!! 

For 17-18 days now, I smell GOOD!!!

Whats the best part for you??? 

8 Replies
Bonnie

I am soooo with you!  I was a "closet" smoker, too...only a few peeps knew...smoked in my tiny home to not bother the neighbors, but then had to open windows to clear out the smell, smudge with sage, wash hands, mouth, brush teeth every time I left the house...what a pain!  Was "busted" twice over the holidays when people stopped by...apologized and was embarrassed...Thanks for reminding me that this is an added bonus of not smoking...I've got the same amount of time as you...pats on the back for both of us!

Lisaml

Just imagine all the money we will save on candles, toothpaste, air freshener!!!  

Laurarutledge

Not being a slob. Smoking is such a messy yucky habit. No more dropped ashes. No more messy ashtrays. I wandered into my playroom, otherwise known as my art studio, and found an old ashtray with cigarette ashes and butts in it - yuck! What a mess! And to think, the house used to be filled with them. 

minihorses

I'm SO glad you are finding the positives in your quit Lisa!  I think it's key that we recognize all the good things that we are experiencing so that the rough patches get fewer and less pronounced.  I've noticed that I don't smell like smoke, nor does my garage (where I used to smoke) or my car.  I don't have to be so subconscious about going anywhere and smelling so much like smoke that I drench myself in perfume.  My sense of smell is coming back and so is my taste.  Smoking is no longer the only thing on my mind, I think of it every day but that's mostly because I'm here and still learning.  I'm sure it will always be in the back of my mind because of my 35 year habit but it's now viewed as in my past and never to be started again, God willing and the creek don't rise!  Keep up the GREAT WORK!!

Julie

MichelleDiane

Good morning Lisa.  Sorry I missed this yesterday.  I just blogged about how wonderful it is to smell fresh and clean.   I agree with you about the planning and sneaking.  That STINKS.  Congratulations on your days WON.  Stop and smell the daisies.  

-Michelle

Sandy-9-17-17

That is one of the best parts of quitting for me too, but also I don't miss have to try to cover up the breath, 

Or missing out on family moments when we are all together.  Great job, and like that you're loving your quit!  

Sandy _

YoungAtHeart

It's  difficult to pick just one thing - but if I have to, I think it's the freedom......being always PRESENT in my life and not continually thinking about how/when/where I can get my fix, planning my life around smoking.  I was able to go to Europe which involved a lengthy airport wait, a really long flight, then through an airport, to a train to a AirBnb - and never ONCE worry about my next cigarette.  I don't think I would have even considered the trip when I still smoked because I could not have imagined how I would have survived being without for those long stretches.  Smoking controlled me, and now I control me - ahhhhhh- FREEDOM!

Nancy

AnnetteMM

Yes, I look forward to traveling without worry as well! I always wanted to take a cruise, but all the ships are smoke-free now and I just couldn't imagine it. Now I can!