cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MichelleDiane

Here we go again

Something about today has me uneasy again.  It's a little disheartening as I have been feeling good for the past few days.  My feeling is not as bad as it was last week, but I'm unsettled.  I think the trigger was when I let my dog out.  I had a brief flash of smoking as I usually would go out on my deck with her.  I have done all of the things I do to redirect.  One of which is coming here.  I am happy, for the moment, that my family keeps putting dishes in the sink.  At least I have something to do every few minutes (they are pigs).  Normally I would tell them to put their own dishes in the dishwasher, but today I will do it because it really does distract my thoughts.  I will be off to work soon, which will make today easier as I will be very busy.  I know once the day is done I will be happy to have worked through this feeling and have another day WON.  Thanks for listening.

-Michelle

18 Replies
minihorses

This is definitely a roller coaster ride!  We get to the top of one hill but in a second we can go flying down the other side.  You will probably have those flashes for the rest of your life.  A person I once knew who after 5 years of being a non-smoker would occasionally say "I'm going to go for a smoke and walk the dog."  Of course she wasn't going for a smoke she was just going out to walk her dog. It was just such an ingrained habit that it would flash through her head at times.  I still say I'm going out to the garage for a smoke occasionally but it just comes out of my mouth since I did it for so many years.  Haven't smoked nor do I want to it's just there, in the back of my mind because it's a memory.  We remember so many events in life and something that has been practically done 24/7 for years is never going to be forgotten and will jump out at us sometimes.  It's OK to have the memories. It's just not OK to act on them.  You are doing everything right by coming here for support, distracting yourself, and keeping in control of your quit!  Be proud everytime that memory comes at you and that you are in control before the coaster speeds down the hill.  Try not to 'hurl', hold tight to the safety bar and have a good scream.  The next hill is always shorter or the coaster wouldn't work! Great Job!!!

Julie  day86

MichelleDiane

Thanks Julie.  Yup...wicked roller coaster for sure.  It's nice to know others are on this ride with me and I am definitely holding tight.  (In-between doing the damn dishes).

-Michelle

indingrl

Beautiful pic and besutiful smile and great hair!!! Thanking for sharing your honest courageous heart with ME for I am desperate to REMAIN quit so please know YOU my beloved MichelleDiane just saved ME from letting MY old memories lead ME to death! I thank God for you and now am so grateful to God for blessing ME with you cuz I am not alone with the struggle of SELF! It was SUGGESTED at times like this to take 3 deep breathes and to also SUGGESTED to DO pray for OTHERS so I still DO what I was taught by others STILL here I lifted you in pray keep on keeping on great job MichelleDiane please know this too shall pass and MORE tests will come one MOMENT at a time in this ONE day at a time NEW lifestyle NOT ONE PUFF OVER ME!!! Together WE will stay quit no matter what in Lord Jesus name amen please take what helps and let go of the rest to be helpful is MY only aim! 

MichelleDiane

indingrl.01.06.2011, your words touched my heart.  Thank you and I do believe that we can all do this together one day at a time.  Have a blessed day.

-Michelle

Now, put that thought into context.  It is not a craving or an urge.  it's simply a smoking memory that being conjured.  try to mix it up next time.  Go to the other end of the deck to stand or simply walk off the deck and stand somewhere you haven't stood before while waiting for the dog.  But do that every time.  Soon you'll train your brain to disassociate that smoking thought with (example) standing under the tree every time.  The thing is quitting is like a hill.  Go scramble your way up and you sail on the way down.  Smoking was our emotional crutch for many many years.  If you feel like crying, cry.  if you feel like screaming, get yourself a pillow and scream (so the neighbors don't think you're nuts).  Every month the feelings will get less and less.  You're feeling down one day, watch some youtube with a comedian you enjoy.  You're feeling extremely hateful.  get your aroma therapy going or snort your favorite scent.  There's lots and lots of meditation  videos on Youtube.  See what works for the main emotions.  there will be some that will pop up out of the blue, but it's always associated with something.  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/16072-its-the-sneaky-trigger-that-gets-ya 

anaussiemom

Fabulous.   Keep moving forward>>>>> 

JACKIE1-25-15

Image result for breathing techniques

YoungAtHeart

crazymama_Lori has given you GREAT advice.  You are relearning your life as an ex-smoker, so do change up your routines when you realize what the triggers are.  You might march in place or do a few jumping jacks, or count the number of brown or green or red things you see.  Or count the number of trees, or the number of fence posts...anything to change your mind's direction.  The better you get at doing this, the easier this journey will become!

Hang tough!

Nancy

desiree465

I am right there with you. One hour I'm great the next hour I could have a complete mood swing and be miserable. Sometimes when that happens and I don't think I'm going to make it I look at my quit stats to see how many smokes I've avoided and it helps remind me that I can get through this. I hope eventually that smoking will be just a memory and not something that rules my life.