cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

lynne4

Help....

I am struggling with the side effects. Really short temper, very edgey, my husband is noticing that my behavior has really changed. For those of you off of Chantix, how long did it take to get back to normal? That receptor that the drug turns off, when does it go back to feeling the way it did prior to going on it? I have read a lot today and am concerned it won't come back.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
libby

Lynne....I felt the same way on Chantix, sort of depressed and just could not seem to get anything done on the weekends, just wanted to sit and read on the computer. I thought my house was going to fall apart, I just could not clean it on the weekends, just sat all day. It probably took a couple to 3 weeks to start feeling more normal after the Chantix. Hope you're feeling better soon.
0 Kudos
lynne4

After being on it 4 1/2 weeks I am going to go off of it. I think I have the triggers nailed down and really just don't like feeling this way, are you back to normal?
0 Kudos
chrissy5

I Dont Know I Only Took Chantix For A Month. I Was Really Short Temper Also But That Went Away That Is From The Nicotene.
0 Kudos
lynne4

Thanks for your comments...

Chrissy - I know that you were on Chantix for a month, how long when you went off it did you feel normal again? My behavior is quite different, somewhat emotionless, I have a call into the doctor and called the Chantix line today, I am just going to go off it. The pharmacist said it woudl be 5-6 days before I feel myself again...weird stuff, but good news is 18 days, close to 21 days - when a habit is formed, so think I can do it.
0 Kudos
cris3

I know exactally how you feel, Lynne. I was just like that but for 2 weeks-- sick, depressed, nightmares. You know I decided to stick it out. Now I am at Day 11 and doing ok. I think it all wasnt just the Chantix it was actually loosing that best friend nicotine, what do you think?
Cris
0 Kudos
lynne4

I agree I think it is both. But for me, I don't like being out of control, so I stopped taking it. I did a lot of the homework - all the exercises and identifying the triggers and replacing them. I am confident I will not go back, I do not want to have to go through this again. That your body has to go through such stress - whether it is being on a drug or cold turkey, in quitting is so out of control. I am just hopeful things will go back to normal for me, I am sure the agigation will still be there to some degree, but the nicotene is out of my system and the new habits are being formed, so I am hopeful that things will go back to normal, just without smoking.
0 Kudos
spunkie

I agree with Cris alot of what we call side effects from Chantix is just from losing our best friend I do think some get real side effects do not get me wrong but short tempter etc. could all be from lossing our best friend I went thru it and some days still feel a little that way it is not the Chantix it is the loss of my best friend. I am on day 61 of non smoking and thank God for Chantix I smoked for 45 plus years almost 2pks a day never thought I could do this but I did and so has my husband Lynne just stay smoke free and we are here for you.
0 Kudos
lynne4

I agree, whether I was on Chantix or not, there were bound to be some very severe side effects. The kicker for me was when I had some wine and my husband and I got into a huge argument. I did not know you should avoid any alcohol with the Chantix, I got out of control - which is not like me at all, had some memory loss, it was pretty scary. I immediately did some researching and while none of the literature that I received with the prescription said to stay away from mixing alcohol, it was all over the internet that hostile behavior is a side effect to mixing the two - ugh, if I knew that let me tell you I wouldn't have had a drop. Also, the pleasure point in your brain that the drug shuts off was effecting me as well, just kind of a melancholy. But, let me tell you, totally agree that I never thought that I would be off completely of smokes for 20 days and know in my heart of hearts that I will never have one puff ever again - and that is the Chantix for sure. I am just hopeful that the pleasure point in the brain turns back on....

Spunkie - are you off the Chanix now? Great job on 61 days, that is fantastic!
0 Kudos
spunkie

Lynne I am still on Chanix and my Doctor suggest I stay on it for 9 months because I have smoked so long I am on day 61 of being smoke free and do not feel like I need the meds but I am not going to take the chance of stopping yet I see my Dr. next week and we will discuss how much longer I will stay on. WTG on staying smoke free
0 Kudos