cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MichelleDiane

Coming to my favorite place

Hi Everyone,

Coming to my favorite place because I know I will get the support I need and I do need some.  Today has been a little challenging.  I don't really know why except to say that I feel edgy.  I am proud of myself for starting day 17 of my quit and can't even believe that I have done this.  I also know that I do not want to smoke.  I guess I have the blahs.  I think being tired is partly responsible as I could have slept all day if I didn't have things to do.  I woke up late as it is, but really would have loved to give myself the day to lounge and sleep.  Self-compassion is hard for me because it doesn't feel right even though I know it's necessary and important.  Not just for a smoke free life, but for life in general.  I can't count how many times I have sat with clients and said, "If you don't take care of yourself first how will you be able to care for others?".  I should take my own counsel, but it's hard.  I do need it today, so I will try not to beat myself up for having an off day and try to get to bed early.  Thanks everyone.

-Michelle

16 DOF

0 Kudos
15 Replies
YoungAtHeart

There is NOTHING (unless it's professional) that should take precedence today over taking care of you! Next time you have this decision to make, make it in YOUR favor.  Have a ME day - you have earned it!  You especially need to listen to what your body needs right now; it's important.

Now - take a NAP!

XOXOXOXOXO

Nancy

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Hey Nancy.  Thanks for reaching out.  Wasn't able to take a nap because I was on the road.  I did get home and take a nice hot bath and made a hot cup of coffee.  Also did a couple of rows on the scarf I am making for my sister.  I have to run out now for the second leg of my day, but I am going to turn in early tonight.  I totally get what a mental health day is as, surprise, I am a Social Worker.  I have taken those days.  Because of the winter holidays and New Year's my schedule was very batty.  I needed to reconnect with my clients, so I really can't do a MH day now.  I can, however, take time over the weekend just for myself.  Thanks again even just for caring.

Regards,

Michelle

0 Kudos
elvan

I worked with a nurse who regularly took "mental health" days.  She said they were absolutely imperative to her being able to function the rest of the time.  Off days are normal, particularly this early in your quit.  Hang on...you did the BEST thing ever by coming here and blogging.  You are drawing strength from the site and make no mistake that you are also giving it back.

XOXO,

Ellen

0 Kudos
ElTyGuy

You are doing a great job! I think what you are feeling is completely normal. When you quit smoking, your routine changes. It's like losing a friend or going through a break up. It is tough. But YOU ARE DOING IT so keep your chin up! Early on, you have to fight urges minute by minute, it seems. But as you move forward, you will find that you won't even think about it at all. I know that sounds incredible but I am here to tell you, it is so true. I quit 3 years ago today. But I actually couldn't remember my actual quit date and had to log in here this morning to remind myself! I am proud of you and I believe you can and you are doing this!

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Thank you so much ElTyGuy-1-17-15-QUIT.  It's inspirational to hear from someone who has reached such a wonderful milestone.  Congratulations on 3 years.  Your words are encouraging.

-Michelle

maryfreecig

Congratulations on 16. Hope you find the R & R you are in need of real soon! Keep up the good work.

MichelleDiane

Good evening all.  I wanted to come by and thank everyone for the help today.  I am feeling a little more like myself.  Maybe because nighty night is just a couple of hours away.  Or maybe you really gave me the support I needed when I needed it.  (I'm going with the latter).  Have a peaceful night and to those who made it without smoking today Congratulations!

-Michelle

elvan

MichelleDiane  Glad you are feeling better tonight...be kind to yourself.

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Thanks

0 Kudos