cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

AnnetteMM

3 weeks vs. 45 years

Today marks 21 days nicotine free.  Three weeks. It's not the first time I've gotten this far, but it feels like the final time.

My story starts pretty much the same as every one else's.  In my early teens I started stealing cigarettes from family and friends' family, and together with those friends we'd smoke wherever and whenever we could. By the time I hit my 20s it was just a normal part of my life. And at that time we all smoked at our desks, in stores, on airplanes...so hard to imagine now, isn't it?

I quit for a year once, and started again for absolutely no reason at all. It was so stupid.

Flash forward another 20 years and all of a sudden I can't smoke anywhere but outside and the price for cartons is through the roof. But still we soldiered on, rationalizing that it's a lifestyle and we love it and all my best friends go out for smoke breaks anyway.

Another 20 years. Thinking about a cruise? Have to consider if there's smoking allowed on board. Want to go on vacation? No hotels allow smoking in rooms anymore. Visiting my daughter and grandson? I have to take time (a LOT of time) to go out to smoke. Why am I even there if that's all I want to do? My life has become so limited, and I didn't even notice.

Finally, it was my 15 year-old granddaughter who gave me the awakening I needed. She got in trouble herself, and I helped her do it. I gave her cigarettes out of my own stash. Some role model I am. So I made a deal, and we both determined to change our lives. We're proud of each other, and I know just thinking of her gives me strength. I want to be here for her and for my other grandchildren as they grow into the fabulous people they'll become.

I will be here for all of them, and for myself. I will pledge every day, every hour, not to smoke. And I'll keep coming back here for encouragement to keep those pledges.

Thanks for reading.

Annette

15 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Wow - THREE weeks! Already?!

Very proud of you!

Nancy

AnnetteMM

I know, right? Thanks, Nancy!

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Thanks for telling your story. Being ready to quit is a great way to start, so please do keep coming back to Ex for support--blog and read. Yes you can get over the nicotine addiction and get on with living--one day at a time. 

elvan

Good for you...some days I needed to pledge many times...I felt like you though, that this quit was going to be my last.  I so WANTED it to be what some people referred to as their "Forever Quit."  I have not regretted quitting even for a moment since the very first minute.  I am glad that you made that agreement with your granddaughter...get her away from smoking as young as possible...and KEEP YOU away!

CONGRATULATIONS ON THREE WEEKS!!!

Ellen

Strudel

You sound great - congrats on your quit!! You are doing this - stay close! 

AnnetteMM

Will do

0 Kudos
Sootie

Congratulations on 3 weeks. And thanks, for that very honest and compelling story. Yes---to some degree that is the story for all of us. It (unfortunately) took us many years to realize smoking was not just a part of our life....smoking WAS our life. It determined everything we did and when and how long we did it.......how sad.

But HOW GREAT that you have taken this important step that is going to make your life so wonderful.

Stay strong.

0 Kudos
susan_m

Congratulations on three weeks, and also huge congratulations on setting an example for your granddaughter. We are not perfect, but we choose what kind of mark to leave on those close to us. I'm proud of you for the choice you made. ❤️

meWisconsin

Congratulations on your 3 weeks of being smoke-free. Remember, one day at a time. You're doing great.

Terry