cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Giulia

Why do some pictures disappear?

Jump to solution

I put up several pictures that I got off the internet in a blog today and at first they all showed up.  Later one of them simply disappeared and I was curious as to why since it was labeled for reuse.  I was under the impression that Labeled for reuse would be the correct choice to prevent copyright problems.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giulia wrote:

Yes, of course that is one option and will take care of it.   But not only is that an added step, (two, actually)  you also may be infecting your own computer with a potential malicious code and injecting it into this

site.? Mark  Please correct my misperceptions in this.  If malicious code can be brought into EX by clicking on photos we get off the internet that we might copy and paste directly (rather than clicking on the photo icon and going through that route), then would that also not be true with photos we download to our own computer first and then upload to the site? 

Widely known photosharing sites probably scan all their uploaded photos to minimize risk of images injected with malicious software.  Downloading images to your computer could be just as risky.  I'm talking about sites that are kitchy and have the "Glitter Graphic" images. I've found images posted on the community in the past that have malware injected in those images, not all but some. Some browsers protect you to some degree but not all browsers have that type of protection. 

Giulia wrote:

I believe you told me a while back that simply doing a copy and paste with images onto this site was a bad idea for the very reason it might import malicious code content.  That it was not a "sanitary" method.  Does it make it more "sanitary" by using the photo icon method on EX?  I.e. are there certain protections that happen when going through the EX photo icon vs another method like copy and paste?  Or downloading it to our computer first and then uploading it?  Or was the information you gave me only relevant to the past ELGG platform?  Is the copy and paste directly into the blog method ok on Jive?  'Cause it sure is a whole lot easier than taking the extra icon step.  

The information is still relevant on Jive. Yes, highlighting and moving mouse to then copy off another site and paste on this site is not recommended as there are things you can see and things you cannot see when you do that.  It is better to use the Photo icon to place images in your posts.  If if is your own images, sure upload them. Yes I know it's another step but it is best to use the button.

Mark

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

I would have to see the example.  If the image was hosted on another site, sometimes they take old content down after a period of time.  This is the case with some of the content from 2008-2010 on ex where the image no longer exists in its original location and therefore cannot be displayed virtually in our community.  Without having more details it is a shot in the dark.  The other thing is that it could temporarily not display if their website/servers were having an issue or the browser could block it if there was malicious data injected into the image.  

Mark

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Giulia

I think I may have figured it out.  The first image is the one that disappeared.  If I copy the Link Address and paste it here,  it shows up as a redirect notice

pastedImage_7.jpg

Redirect Notice   

This other picture may not disappear.  I'm waiting to see.  It has a different link associated with it.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXgVWKBZbAOvd_fKLOY4Tnv_imualyrxy1NS7-qL6Jad4L... 

0 Kudos

I download images to my computer first, then post them to this site. Then I can go back and delete from my computer once they’re hosted here. That may avoid ones disappearing on you. Just a thought.

Giulia wrote:

I think I may have figured it out.  The first image is the one that disappeared.  If I copy the Link Address and paste it here,  it shows up as a redirect notice

pastedImage_7.jpg

Pasted Image ^ Won't disappear but pasted image should not be copyrighted. If they are found to be copyrighted I will need to remove them. - Mark

---------

Redirect Notice   

Google Search Results for https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7366/12608760674_2c290fa276_b.jpg ( original location on Flickr.com may disappear if the original owner removes it.

---------

This other picture may not disappear.  I'm waiting to see.  It has a different link associated with it.

Google Search results image preview ^ could disappear if owner removes it

---------

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXgVWKBZbAOvd_fKLOY4Tnv_imualyrxy1NS7-qL6Jad4L... 

Google search results image preview link to image. Could disappear if owner removes it.

I've commented in bold italics above inline.

The best solution would be to go to the  Redirect Notice (which is essentially a google search results) and then click on the "View Image" which will show you the original image.  Then if you link this one it will show the image in the original location and only display on the community.  If the owner chooses to take it down then the image will disappear.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Giulia

Yes, of course that is one option and will take care of it.   But not only is that an added step, (two, actually)  you also may be infecting your own computer with a potential malicious code and injecting it into this

site.? Mark‌  Please correct my misperceptions in this.  If malicious code can be brought into EX by clicking on photos we get off the internet that we might copy and paste directly (rather than clicking on the photo icon and going through that route), then would that also not be true with photos we download to our own computer first and then upload to the site? 

I believe you told me a while back that simply doing a copy and paste with images onto this site was a bad idea for the very reason it might import malicious code content.  That it was not a "sanitary" method.  Does it make it more "sanitary" by using the photo icon method on EX?  I.e. are there certain protections that happen when going through the EX photo icon vs another method like copy and paste?  Or downloading it to our computer first and then uploading it?  Or was the information you gave me only relevant to the past ELGG platform?  Is the copy and paste directly into the blog method ok on Jive?  'Cause it sure is a whole lot easier than taking the extra icon step.  

Giulia wrote:

site.? Mark  Please correct my misperceptions in this.  If malicious code can be brought into EX by clicking on photos we get off the internet that we might copy and paste directly (rather than clicking on the photo icon and going through that route), then would that also not be true with photos we download to our own computer first and then upload to the site? 

Widely known photosharing sites probably scan all their uploaded photos to minimize risk of images injected with malicious software.  Downloading images to your computer could be just as risky.  I'm talking about sites that are kitchy and have the "Glitter Graphic" images. I've found images posted on the community in the past that have malware injected in those images, not all but some. Some browsers protect you to some degree but not all browsers have that type of protection. 

Giulia wrote:

The information is still relevant on Jive. Yes, highlighting and moving mouse to then copy off another site and paste on this site is not recommended as there are things you can see and things you cannot see when you do that.  It is better to use the Photo icon to place images in your posts.  If if is your own images, sure upload them. Yes I know it's another step but it is best to use the button.

Mark

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Giulia

Thanks, Mark.

0 Kudos

I sometimes take a screetshot then crop it and post it.

Bree19

Every time Mark and Giulia start these techy conversations, I sit up, shake my head, stretch my eyes and promise to read it over and over till I understand…all lively with interest to learn and grow.

Halfway through I either go watch the grass grow or the oven cooling down.

Then I got so elated when @anaussiemom joined admitting she doesn’t know ‘up’ from ‘down’ here – finally a friend to relate to yes?  No.  The next day she was posting pictures and doing other magic.

Never mind.  I got me a banner.  I got me a profile pic.  You don’t understand how hard that was.  Don’t expect any changes or updates in the near future (or the far).   Sob.  Sigh….

Luvya all madly!!!