cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mmoores

How to stay motivated when stress hits

Hi all, this is my first day of so many trying to quit. The best i have ever done is 8 months without a cigarette, but I always allow stress to make me go back to the bad habbit, any pointers on what to tell myself or to do to avoid this from happening again.

11 Replies

101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke, here's a list to get you started.  pick one thing for each of your triggers.  for instance, when you are stressed, drink ice water.  When you are angry, snap a rubber band on your wrist.  The important thing is to relearn life not around smoking.  first two weeks to a month is the physical part.  from then on, you are retraining yourself to live life as a nonsmoker and finding better ways to cope with it rather than smoking.  go back through when you were tracking your cigarettes and fill out that section of how I plan to separate.  that section you are devising your own game plan to take cigarettes out of the equation

gregp136

This is also my first day back as a non smoker, mmoores‌.  Welcome.  As for me, I quit her is March, and lasted until September.  For me, it was me.  The only way I can keep from smoking again is to understand me.  We are all different.  Dig into what makes you go back.  I have, and intend to use that to keep non smoking.   Have a GREAT first day!

indingrl

Congrats !

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Life is always going to happen; it's how you learn to deal with it that tells the tale!  What do you think people who never smoked do when they are stressed out?  Maybe they count to 100 backwards?  Maybe they take some slow, deep breaths?  Maybe they go for a brisk walk or do a few jumping jacks?  Maybe they call a friend to vent?  Now you can write a blog here and get it out........Just have your tools ready - be prepared, not surprised.  You have decided you aren't going to smoke anymore, so take it off the table.

I wrote a blog for the newly quit and asked for best advice from our community that you might find helpful:For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too). The better you understand this addiction, the more successful you can be.  Please do the suggested reading - starting with Allen Carr.

Congratulations on your decision to quit and your first day!  Let us know when you have questions or need support!

Nancy

indingrl

Welcome mmoores and CONGRATS it was suggested I educate MY seld on MY nicotine addiction and admit complete defeat to MY inner most self I am a recovering nicotine addict one day at a time... keep up the great job NO ONE PUFF OVER ME!

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Seems like succeeding is strong on our mind. Because it takes time for most of us quitters to get used to living without smoking, I suggest you stay close to Ex --read and participate. As you get familiar with different people here and their stories...you will hear about their ups and downs...and that they didn't smoke. I don't know about you, but hearing about success, encourages and inspires me to face my life with its stresses and do so smober.

Keep coming back, keep building your recovery from nicotine/smoking.

MichelleDiane

Hi mmoores.  Welcome to ex.  There are so many people here who have proven that there is life after quitting.  I, myself, returned to this site after taking a year to smoke.  I am now going on two weeks tomorrow.  During this quit there have been multiple challenges.  What I have found helpful this time is coming to this site as often as I need to (everyday many times), understanding my triggers, but I think most of all staying in the moment without staying in the thought.  I acknowledge that I am having an urge or thought about smoking, but I choose to move a muscle to change that thought.  When I am driving it could be turning the radio on or off, taking a sip of water, or putting chewing gum in my mouth.  At home or other places I read something, clean something, move something, call someone, check the weather forecast, etc.  Whatever I need to do.  I wish you the best and hope to see you in this community often.  The best cheerleaders are here.

-Michelle

mmoores

I want to Thank you all for your advice, it is very helpful and I really love the support. Thanks again!! 

Laurarutledge

I am on 10 days quit, and have every intention of making this the only way to live my life, smoke free. But as to what to do to handle stress without a cigarette, what I plan to do is to stop and think - What would a cigarette do to help me thru the stress? Will it make life any easier? Because the true answer is it does absolutely nothing to help you, only hurt you. If you can honestly sell yourself on the thought that a cigarette will do anything to lessen the stress, then you’re being dishonest. Or your letting the nicodemon lie to you. Stay strong. We can all do it, as long as we remain committed and honest with ourselves.