cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

NeedToBe

wellbuterin

Hi,

Was thinking about something on my way home and figured I'd post here. Interested in people's experiences using Wellbuterin to help quit.

What I'd like to know is if you experienced any issues when stopping its use.

My doc had me start with 150mg foe a week, then increased to 300 mg (these are both daily). She is saying I should take it for 2-3 months, back down 150 mg for a week then quit.

I started taking the med on my quit day so I'm not sure how'd I feel without it. So.... staying with it.

Looking ahead tho 2 to 3 months, I still be in NML.

Should I be concerned? Maybe ask to stay on for a bit more? Drag out the length of time I step down to150mg.

I know it's a ways off for me (sitting at 12 DOF) but a prepared ex is stronger ex.

Thanks in advance for any info, insight you can provide.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

I had no problem stopping it.  It is not an addictive drug. I used it for 90 days which was my intention.  I think you should cross that road when you get there.  The only problem I had was it caused me to have some sleepiness so I would take the dosages earlier in the day.  Even though you are using Welbutrin you still have to go through the withdrawal.  It takes the edge off and releases dopamine to ease the withdrawal systems. By 90 days you should be okay. 

0 Kudos
KMC56

I didn't have any problems! ~Kathy

0 Kudos
Strudel

I took it for the full 3 months my doctor recommended. I talked to him after about 4 weeks to go off of it - but he felt it was best to stay on it. However, he did lower the dose at that point. I didn't have any problem stepping down at that point - or when I totally went off at 12 weeks. I still think that the support here and the prep work I did ahead of time were even more essential to my quit - but the Welbutrin certainly didn't hurt anything! Congrats to you!

0 Kudos
elvan

I have been on it for years, not for smoking cessation.  My docs wanted me on anti-depressant to help with chronic pain.  I had been on several different meds that I could not tolerate...wellbutrin didn't seem to do anything to me one way or the other.  

0 Kudos