cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gmcculloch

Staying quit long term

1. I am new to this website so not yet sure how to navigate. I stopped smoking on New Years Eve and am now on day 10. I had quit before for 10 years and went back 7 years ago. Since then I have stopped and started again multiple times. So, here is my question. Where can I find help to stay off long term? I seem to have strong urges to go back to smoking around 1 month and 3 months. 2 years ago I made it 9 months and went back while at a social event. I want to stay off for good this time.
Tags (1)
21 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Image result for welcomeYou have come to the right place. Start here by educating your self about nicotine addiction.  Read the blog and comments.  For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too)  and get on your journey to a forever quit.  For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too) 

gmcculloch

Yikes! Thank you SO much for all the replies! Once I figure out how to navigate all that is on this site I can tell it will be a huge help. I really am trying hard to stay off. Day 11. I am a bit worried about a work function Saturday night where there will be quite a few smokers. I know smoking is bad for me, I know it will eventually kill me, I know it is harmful to others and that I should think enough of myself to stay off. Knowing all that I cannot understand why I miss smoking so much. I am hoping to have time tonight to read the link on Nicotine addiction. 

Thank you again for all the helpful responses. I hope to be able to participate and give back as things progress.

Gina

ampan75

just don't pick that stick. it's all needed. 

Daniela2016

Welcome and congrats on working so hard for your health!

Jackie provided some useful links.

My answer to you, gmcculloch, if you want to stay quit forever is: stay with us, stay with this site.  Stop by every day, or more often if needed, blog, read, help others with what you learned from your quits, have fun, learn life without smoking.

It is what works for me and I have been quit nearly 2 years.

Giulia

I currently have an 11 year quit.  What has helped me maintain a long-term quit is staying connected to support.  Reading the trials and tribulations of the newly minted, reading the wisdom of fellow long-term quitters and continuing education about this addiction keeps my quit in safe harbors.  Also by offering support it reinforces the mindset of a quitter.  It helps prevent taking one' quit for granted.

You can find help to stay off cigarettes long term right here.  Stay connected and involved with others on the journey.  You simply need to have a hands-on (or shall I say eyeball on) approach.  Support is wonderful two-way street.   You get when you give.  Welcome!

MichelleDiane

gmcculloch if you did it once than you can do it again.  I have had numerous failed quits.  I applaud your 10 year smoke free life and envy it.  I am on Day 11 now and have found this site priceless.  I come here often and get the support and encouragement I need.  I am also hopeful that I can offer support to others.  Figure out what was working when you had your quit and include new things for this quit.  Best wishes.

-Michelle

minihorses

welcome!.jpg

YOU HAVE FOUND THE BEST STOP SMOKING COMMUNITY IN EXISTENCE!!  You will find everything you need to stop smoking and stay quit in the presence of all the wonderful, wise people here.  As you've been told already, read, write, ask, vent, whatever, we are all in the same boat rowing the best we can with a huge amount of cheerleading keeping us rowing.  Count your days, count your blessings, and count on us to have your back when you need us.  You will be able to quit for good this time.  It's my million-th time quitting smoking but I have absolute confidence that as long as I'm with Ex I will remain an Ex!

Julie   74 Days of Freedom From Smoking!!!!

Newby here. Quit date March 15th. I hope this site is active. Some posts are quite old. Any tips for getting quick response when needed?

JACKIE1-25-15

We are LIVE