cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Darlene0313

Fatigued with Brain Fog

I am on my fourth day of quitting "again" and I am not able to focus at all and the fatigue is overwhelming.  I just looked up this information and stumbled across a forum where everyone was complaining of extreme fatigue and lack of concentration months into quitting.  I am very concerned here because this is interfering with my job now and my job is my livelihood and I can't have something like quitting smoking jeopardize it for months or even weeks on end.  Does anyone have any tips that will help with the fatigue and feeling like I'm in a fog all day. The main reasons I quit isbecause I want more energy and wanted the morning brain fog to stop. Now the fatigue is 10x and the Brain fog is all day.  I only have brief moments where I can focus only.   

15 Replies
Daniela2016

Hi Darlene, both symptoms are something we all experienced at some degree.  They do not last for weeks or months, barely for days. 

Sleep as much as you can whenever you have a chance.  Drink fruit juice, high on Vitamin C, and if you can, and have enough energy, go for short walks.  When you walk you increase the heart rhythm, and increase the Oxygen going into the brain, helping with clearing up the fog.  Please be patient, these too shall pass.

Congratulations on almost 4 days, you should be feeling a lot better at the end of the first week! 

Stay strong, this is not easy, but it is not going to kill you, nor is it going to impact your job long term.  I am also still working and depend on my income, and have been trough the same things as you at the beginning of the quit.  What you feel is normal, don't give up, it will ease up with every day won! 

Brenda_M

I had severe brain fog early last year that lasted months. It had nothing to do with quitting smoking, as I'd been quit for 4.5 years. I tried several remedies one at a time so I could evaluate if they worked. Three things helped: 1. A Vitamin D supplement, 2. Sleeping 7.5 hours a night (I had been trying to sleep more and more to fight the fatigue, but I think I was sleeping too much), and 3. Meditation. Meditation was actually the last thing I tried, because it worked so well. I downloaded the Insight Timer app--highly recommend.

Don't use these early symptoms as an excuse to give up. It will go away on its own, and it really won't take long. I'd say within two weeks, you'll really notice an improvement, even if you do nothing. But try a few things to see if they help--especially with it being winter, Vitamin D or a sunlamp might be a big help.

gregp136

I agree.  I have never seen the fog lasting that long.  Every one responds differently to quitting, and one quit can be different from another in the same person.  Hang in there, this will be worth it.  You have 4 GREAT days behind you.

elvan

BREATHE...that's what my doc told me to do.  Inhale deeply and hold the air in your lungs and then exhale slowly...you know, like you did when you were smoking.  Doc said smokers forget how to breathe after they quit smoking.  The fog does NOT last weeks or months, congratulations on your four days of freedom...say that word over and over again FREEDOM!

Welcome to EX, we have all been where you are, try to be patient with yourself...

Ellen

Darlene0313

Thank you ALL for your feedback, the Brain fog and fatigue has eased a bit now that I am 7 days into this, however the mental cravings are insane,  its all i think about today. I have stopped the chantix also today.  I was going to use the brain fog as an excuse to smoke until I read the responses.  Thank you all for your support.  Its a battle everyday and I want to give up because it seems so hard but as Daniela-3-11-2016  noted its not going to kill me or be long term.  I talked myself into smoking today which I haven't done yet and have decided against after reading this, thank you again

On a side note, I can't take naps or go for walks as I am working so I'm restricted on what I can do, so I just keep taking deep breaths.

Brenda_M

Good for you NOT smoking. Just remember, smoking is NOT an option. Once you commit to that, then the mental stuff gets easier. It's only when you waver back and forth (but I want to, but I shouldn't, so I won't, but this is hard, but...) that you make it hard on yourself. You go from all those head games to, "Well, I won't, I don't do that anymore so no point in thinking about it. Better move on to something else." Remember, this WILL pass.

Here's a list of distractions: Things To Do Instead of Smoking.

Keep it up! Congrats on a week!!!

maryfreecig

At first when I quit smoking and was in the dumps about cigarettes, I'd say to myself, 'My head got it right when I decided to quit, my feelings have got it wrong about regretting quitting.'  Time has passes and so has the trap of nicotine/cig addiction. 

Hang in there and give yourself a chance to see that you got it right when you decided to quit and then did. 

Yes you can, one day at a time.

Darlene0313

Last time i responded was the exact day i ended up having 1 smoke. I am now only 15 days and 22 hour into my quit, further than when i first wrote. I still have the fatigue off and on, Brian fog but not as bad as it was. Cravings are still hard at times, just yesterday fought with myself all day noy to smoke i went to bed at 8 to avoid having one. 

JACKIE1-25-15

Stay Hydrated.  Lots and lots of water.  Going through detox.  Drinking water helps to cleans the system. Ice Cold makes it even better. Helps to clear the brain fog too.  Hang tough.  You can do this.