cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MichelleDiane

Rough Patch This Morning

I'm coming straight to this site because I have had a difficult morning.  I'm not exactly sure why, but part of it may be due to having severe neck pain.  I was in a car accident this summer and my neck continues to hurt.  I went for physical therapy since August, but no change.  This morning I had to sit with a heating pad on my neck for over an hour.  Although it helped a little I am still in pain.  Also, last night was another blow out with my son.  Interesting that my husband said to me "G-d must be challenging you.  You're quitting smoking and all of this".  I think they may also be feeding into my feelings of being anxious and unsettled.  Well, thanks for listening to me vent.  I did make the pledge and I am going to stick to it.  Smoking will not make the neck pain disappear or the situation with my son be any better.  I know that.  On week 2 and praying.

-Michelle

12 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Good job understanding that smoking would not have made ANY of this better, and coming here instead.  You have learned your lessons well.

You might ask your physician (PT folks are not usually familiar with it) about doing yoga for your neck.  I had a herniated disk in mine, and yoga aligned it properly and eliminated the pain.  Something, maybe to look into?

Carry on with your smokefree day.  You are doing GREAT!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

Smoking does not lessen any of life's problems - only adds to them.  Good job - you can come here and vent anytime!

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Thanks Jennifer and Nancy.  I made it through my first client and feel a little better.  I do have a herniated disc along with three bulging disc, so they cause me pain even though I do my exercises three or more times a day.  Yoga may be a good idea.  I know it is calming even if it doesn't help my neck it will help my anxiety.  Thanks again for being there for me

-Michelle

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

You did the right thing to come here.  In the beginning of quitting smoking our emotions get all over the place along with everybody else's.    We have no control over how someone reacts. Only our own.  Quitting smoking is a new window opened that we start to see clearer.  Things we have been clouding with smoke.  Continue to pray because this journey continues with up and downs, highs and lows. I suggest that you develop a breathing technique to help remain calm or calm you down.  HALT will help you protect Hunger, Anger, Tired, Lonely. are triggers. be prepared.  No one said it is easy, just doable. When I thought I may get into an argument, I imagined that I had duct tape over my mouth.  That allowed me time to think instead of respond.  Heads up Shoulders Back, This too will pass.  you got this! Sorry about the neck, take care of yourself.  The body takes time to heal or you may need to see another doctor. Image result

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Wow.  I almost hypnotized myself.  I'll use it.  Thanks for the help. Feeling a little better emotionally.  Physically not so much, but I look forward to going home later and standing in the shower as the hot water hits my neck.

-Michelle

elvan

Sorry you had a rough morning...glad that you are open to the yoga and that Jackie almost hypnotized you, hahaha.  I am not sure if it would help you or not but when my neck gets bad, the only thing that helps to relieve it is MOIST heat  I put a heating pad in a plastic bag and I put a damp washcloth over it and lay on it with something UNDER it to help me with supporting my neck.  For me, that helps...if it is muscle, it should do something...if it is disc, it may STILL help.  You did the right thing by coming here and letting some of that tension out...seriously, you are doing GREAT!

XOXO,

Ellen

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Great work sticking to your quit even when shadows came along. Hope your neck feels better soon.

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Thanks maryfreecig.  I'm working through it.  My neck on the other hand is protesting loudly.

0 Kudos
elvan

Sorry about the neck...so proud of you for getting through this morning and this day.

Ellen

0 Kudos