cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sld2

Is there anyone out there who did not gain weight when they quit?

Good morning!  I have quit so many times I’ve lost count.  This time I am serious - I’ve had enough.  I am a Weight Watchers member and just reached goal.  I am so nervous about putting on even a pound.  Has anyone NOT gained weight when they quit??

13 Replies
indingrl

Welcome sld2 i weighed 275 and smoked 50 cigs a day and was working out still using nicotine in Oct 2010.... i have eaten over every little EMOTION I feel.... it is SUGGESTED to eat healthy celery carrot sticks for my hand to mouth fetish I used for 38 YEARS OF USING NICOTINE and that my dear one took ME along TIME.... one DAY AT A TIME.....in these YEARS for ME....living nicotine FREE one DAY at a TIME... I have gained and lost many many pounds yet only by Gods grace NOT ONE PUFF OVER ME OR MY POUNDS GAINED AND LOST AND REGAINED AND LOST.... I will lose the weight eventually IF i want too... yet IF I CHOOSE TO USE NICOTINE OVER THE WEIGHT GAIN or LOSS .... then I NEVER REALLY WANTED TO QUIT USING NICOTINE.... I just wanted an EXCUSE to USE NICOTINE FOR ANY REASON.... please remember.... I am  talking about ME only.... MY LIFE FAT is worth more than SUCKING DEATH STICKS TO GET CANCER OR DIE EARLY they SUGGESTED I educate MY self about MY NICOTINE ADDICTION FIRST FOR ME.....not anyone else.... I discovered I was addicted to nicotine.... by Gods grace I am nicotine free for  SEVEN YEARS on Jan 6, 2018 and I weigh 200 lbs it has taken ME TIME to learn to STAY QUIT cuz anyone can quit using.... its the STAYING QUIT.... ME being  fat or not for ME in Jesus name amen thank you sld2 for helping ME STAY QUIT with you this DAY no matter what WE weigh.... WE will God willing NOT use nicotine no matter what excuse WE TRY to use over for TOGETHER and WE blog for help BEFORE WE USE NICOTINE in Jesus name WE will receive LOVE HOPE AND HELP FROM ALL HERE.... amen!  please take what helps and let go of the rest!

Tabbiekat

I lost weight, over the last year I have been losing weight with moderate changes and seeing moderate weight loss. When I became serious about quitting in early Sept.  I scheduled a smoking cessation visit with my doctor mid September and got on the scale. My quit journey started Oct 17th, quit for a couple of weeks, slipped and reset my quit to Oct 31. I started drinking a lot more soda and coffee that I had pretty much given up. I ate a fair amount of the bad foods and thought for sure the scale would go up when I saw my doctor late Dec. I had lost 11 lbs in three months. One thing I did do while in the first month of quitting was keep portions in control, drank tons of water and except for a few days I kept to my 8 hour eating period. For the most part I only eat between 11am and 7pm. I stopped doing my 3x week exercise, but am still active. My suggestion for you, since you have WW working for/with you, do your best to keep to the plan. Avoid the scales for a couple weeks after your initial quit, give yourself a bit of breathing room (to gain a couple of pounds), but focus on your quit since I can promise you quitting will be worth having to lose a couple of lbs, but gaining weight is not a guarantee with quitting, losing/maintaining your weight is possible. One thing you will be if you quit is a lot more healthier. Keep reading about quitting and have your plan of action to quit in place. You can also do a word search  and find lots of posts about weight loss, maintaining etc while quitting too.

Wishing you the best during your quit journey.

Tabbie

MarilynH

A very good morning sld2 congratulations on your decision to quit smoking, you can and will be successful one precious Smokefree Day at a time or hour, minute or even one second at a time , I gained 10 lbs when I quit almost 3 and a half yrs ago now but really the weight can come off if we do gain a few lbs because getting rid of the cigarettes is so much more important and you being a member of weight watchers should be definetly a plus for you so I congratulate you on your weight goal and I believe you'll also be successful on your quit goal as well keeping your mind as well as your hands occupied which helps, drink lots of water and read everything you can about quitting smoking and remaining quit because there's a wealth of information here to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb and start living a life of Freedom you can do this believe it and we're all here to help you succeed. 

YoungAtHeart

I know you worked very hard to get that weight off and don't want to have to do it again - but it's a fact that you need to eat 200 less calories a day to remain even after you quit smoking.  Smoking does increase your metabolic rate and calorie burn.  It also causes deadly illnesses, makes you stink, ruins your teeth, your skin, increases your stress level, wastes your money, your time,  takes you away from family, friends and important moments, and leads to debilitating conditions like COPD. 

You CAN lose any weight you might gain when you quit after you get beyond the initial withdrawals.  It's not such a good idea to worry about your weight when you first quit.  Quitting needs to be your #1 priority.  You CAN only snack on carrot and celery sticks and other healthy options and get more exercise which will help...but dieting and quitting should not be done at the same time.

Please don't use weight gain as an excuse not to quit.  A little bit of extra weight won't kill you - continuing to smoke WILL!

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

Okay here goes.  I can understand your concern.  I know how hard you have worked to reach goal.  You are at a place that is very crucial that you maintain your weight.  I suggest instead of changing the default to maintenance keep it at losing weight.  You will still fluctuate during the maintenance period but it is easier to stay in that 2 lb gap.   Now that the program has zeros, I would focus on those.  You know what works for you or you would not have reached goal.  Keep doing that!  I just reached life time and it is still an adjustment period.  There are so many good things to eat on WW you do not have to limit yourself to (i have eaten a plenty) carrot sticks.   (Thank God) You know that.  Keep doing what you are doing.  Make sure that you stay active, attend the meetings and by all means gaining weight is no reason to start smoking again.  You know how to lose it if you gain it.  Whoo Hoo.  You can do this I am in your corner.  Stay close.  Come here first if you are having any problems. 

sld2

Thank you all for such great advice!  Getting to goal was hard - but I was determined and stuck to the plan.  I will use that same determination on my quit journey!  I know I can do it this time!  And I will be right here reading all the tips and tricks.   

JACKIE1-25-15

If you can lose weight, you can quit smoking.  If you can quit smoking, you can lose weight.  For some of us it is easier to have one priority at a time.  You are well on you way with the weight loss so now focus on the quit smoking.  I can not tell by your profile, how many days are you smoke free?   Please educate yourself about nicotine addiction. 

elvan

I gained only a very few pounds...and I had repeatedly failed at quits because I was so afraid of gaining weight.  When I first started at EX, someone asked me if I would rather gain a few pounds that I could always lose or if I would rather pull around an 8-10 lb oxygen tank for the rest of my life with no chance of losing that.  I do understand the concern about weight...I also can tell that you have worked very hard to get to goal.  Please know that stopping smoking is the best thing you can do to take care of yourself and taking care of yourself is what quitting smoking AND losing weight are both about.  A stronger life.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

SaraPeach

I know this is an old post, but I did not gain weight when I quit back in 2009. I went on daily walks and ate fairly healthy.