cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kellybeth

The true cost of smoking

This is an update on a post I made a few weeks ago (290 days)

My Kind, Sweet , Gentle, Loving Sister in Law has died. She passed away at 6:15 PM on Saturday 12/23/17. She had Lung cancer that had spread. She was just 48 years old. She passed away under the care of hospice. She spent the last 2 weeks of her life just waiting for it to end.

I went to visit her almost every day that she was there. And every time I walked in the room I was afraid of what I would see. Every day was worse then the day before. It was hard to see someone you love in that state. She was skin and bones. There was just nothing left of her.

Lisa's main fear was being alone at the end. When her time came, she was not alone. Her room was filled with the people that were most important to her. I sat with her from 11 am until she took her last breath at 6:15 that evening.

I have never seen or been a part of anything like that, nor do I ever want to be again. Her passing was not as peaceful as I would have hoped. It was not like I have seen on TV. It was nothing short of terrififying. She knew she was about to die and the fear in her eyes is something I will never forget. 

I could go into further detail but I don't want to put the image in your head like the one I can't get out of mine. I can't stop thinking about her, about the last moments of her life. Life is short as it is. Why must we do things to our bodies to make it even shorter.

I have not smoked since 2/20/17. I plan to never smoke again. My Husband, Lisa's brother, continues to smoke. I told him if he doesn't stop it will be him in that bed next. She smoked about 2 years longer then him. This is his future.

Please if you are thinking about quitting remember this story. This is the reality of smoking. You must take care of yourself. Do not make the consequences of your actions fall on to your loved ones.

Much Love,

Kelly XOXO

0 Kudos
13 Replies
YoungAtHeart

My heart is breaking for you just reading this.  I am so sorry you had to go through that, but SO proud that you brought the correct message out of that heartbreaking experience.

Thank you for sharing it.  Even if it reaches only one person - it's one you have helped tremendously by writing of your experience.

My deepest sympathy to you, her other family members and friends.

Nancy

Kellybeth

Thank you. I do hope I can help just one person.

0 Kudos
elvan

I am so terribly sorry, what a horrible thing for you to have in your mind.  I really hope that it is enough to reach some people...dying from lung cancer is terrifying, she was SO YOUNG.  I really hope your husband pays attention and I want you to know how much I appreciate you sharing this AND I am so proud of you for protecting your quit.  You are coming close to a year and what a year it has been.  Congratulations on staying strong and what a beautiful thing you did to be there for your sister in law...I am so sorry for the vision you have left in your mind.  I know exactly what you are talking about, I had seen it as a nurse but it was nothing like seeing it when my own mother died.  She did not have cancer...it just did not seem peaceful.  Again, please accept deepest sympathy.

Ellen

dwwms

I am so sorry - this had to be terrible to witness and now live with. It's very hard to see someone suffer before passing away. I saw my brother go through that (with liver cancer). I pray this will be the wake up call for your husband to realize he needs to quit.

Strudel

I am so sorry for your loss.....You have provided a powerful blog by sharing your story - thank you! Congrats on your great quit. 

MichelleDiane

Kelly, I am so, so sorry for your loss.  I cannot imagine going through that.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

-Michelle

freeneasy

Sorry for your loss and pain and thank you for sharing this powerful testimony. 

Mandolinrain

Kelly, words cannot express how sad I feel for you and the family. I pray your husband will soon make a decision to quit. What a tragedy you have all experienced. 

I smoked for over over thirty years and a cancer scare basically scared me into quitting. I feel that all along I knew deep inside I was playing Russian roulette with my life, but kept also saying to myself, this could never happen to me. The truth is it can happen to any of us at anytime and when my last scare came back clean I decided it was time to quit trying to dodge bullets and start getting serious about my quit.

I am praying that the loss of Lisa will soon settle into a reality with your husband that his own life is becoming more vulnerable everyday he continues to smoke. Perhaps he will see the strength in you and his quit journey will begin.

God Bless you Kelly...I will be praying for you and your husband.

Missy

I'm sorry for your loss and hope your husband is listening.