cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Glucose in the Airway

When we get a Common Cold which is a Rhino Virus why do we wind up with an exacerbation? Why does it make sense to constantly be on antibiotics when we know that overuse of antibiotics is a constant concern for the entire population?

Here is part of the answer. I assure you that microbiologically scientists don't know near enough! They're the first to tell you - they don't really have a clue! But they are learning and this is a new discovery.

Glucose in the airways could increase infections in lung disease patients 

The good news is that there is already a widely distributed effective medication that could very quickly become accessible after FDA approval - Metformin.

Metformin is used for Diabetes and could help regulate and decrease glucose in the airways so that a Cold becomes just a Cold like in the "good old days." It's a much better choice than antibiotic. 

I am in no way advocating anybody making these changes in any other format than with your Doctor! Do NOT stop taking prescribed antibiotics! Do NOT start taking Metformin without a prescription! 

We have a lot to learn but at least the research is finally being made! Our job is to stay as healthy as possible until R&D catches up. It will happen! I believe!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
elvan

This is absolutely fascinating.  My husband is just getting over what he called a chest cold that then progressed to a head cold...both HIS terms.  I told him that is upside down.  He LOVES taking EmergenC and Alka Seltzer cold and anything that he thinks is going to make him feel better.  He was coughing so frequently and it sounded so loose that it sounded like a smoker's cough.  I got really angry with him for not covering his mouth every time.  He said he couldn't because he was coughing so MUCH...SERIOUSLY?  I was as cautious as I could be trying to cover MY mouth but we were in a car together for about three hours.  I have not gotten sick...I am really nervous about all of the students coming back from winter break because they bring germs from every corner of the country and it is not unusual for me and others to get sick after they come back.  I have been using hand sanitizer because I can't wash my hands at a sink between customers.  I have known diabetics on metformin, I have never heard of it for COPD.  I would really like to hear more about it.

Thanks, Thomas.

Ellen

0 Kudos