cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

NeedToBe

Just posting this link to a Ted talk I found interesting.

Here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-moW9jvvMr4

The speaker suggests rather than "coping" with cravings you embrace it via mindfulness.

This seems to be consistent in my mind with Carr's work in (at least the way I interpret it) is to make the experience a positive one rather than negative.

Curious what others think.

9 Replies
TW517

I heard this a year ago and bookmarked it for my upcoming quit. I’ve practiced meditation for years. Ironically, my daily meditation suffered greatly the first 8-10 weeks of my quit. But the mindful awareness of my craves turned out to be an invaluable tool for me. 

0 Kudos
susan_m

I have tried and tried yo establish a meditation practice. I intend to make it happen this year

KEM19

It seems interesting and may be helpful, at the very least worth a try!

0 Kudos
indingrl

Whatever helps YOU not to use nicotine is great for YOU and thats really all that matters.... everyone here discovered something that worked for them NOT for everyone.... thanks for sharing and keep moving forward and blog BEFORE you take that first puff over you.... this SUGGESTION was made to me in the beginning and i am still trying to help today abd thank you for sharing and helping me to stay quit no matter what TOGETHER is wonderful!    

0 Kudos
Mon2

I just listen to this and I will try it, today was a horrible day for me and I am only on day 8.  My urge lasted all morning, bad, bad morning, but I did not smoke.

TW517

Those short 3-5 minute craves are fairly easily handled with deep breathing, moving around, chewing on something, etc.  It's those horrible morning-long or afternoon-long ones that I needed to focus on to get through.  Give it a try.  Nothing will get rid of it altogether except time.  But hopefully it helps some.

0 Kudos

I absolutely love the smell of cinnamon and lilac.  So early in my quit, I gathered up all my favorite smells and snorted my way through the first 30 days........ now isn't that a picture !!!  But hey, it worked  

JACKIE1-25-15

There are a lot of topics on site about mindful, just go to search icon and type in mindful.  I used it in the very first beginning of my quit and it made a big difference.  Being aware of what you are doing is a good tool so you do not slip in the mindlessness and smoke. 

0 Kudos
darnPainter

TRUE FOR ME!!! I had to pay very close attention to the lie and outwardly acknowledge it, then it lost power to convince me I was identified by it. More often than not, they arise out of my self-centered fear. (Fight or Flight) They are just thoughts. Nothing more. 

0 Kudos