cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ampan75

Smoking as reward

I read dopamine makes a smoker feel good a d that's why I think many here came and saying they will loSe best friend. as a schizophrenic I am on med that lowers dopamine effect as it's been felt that high dopamine is reason for symptom of schizo. so I smoked to bear the depression and buckle the effects of disease. so I don't know what's that high you normal guys had. I just killed time smoking it was never pleasure. your opInion please. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Smoking has two components; one is the physical. When I smoked, receptors in my brain gave me  a brief "high" from the hit of nicotine,  The problem is that this effect is short-lived, and the receptors almost immediately start to demand their next fix.  It is a never-ending cycle, and one that is difficult to break. The second component is the association/trigger part.  We associated smoking with every aspect of our lives.  We smoked with our first cup of coffee, when we finished a task, after meals, when talking on the phone, when relaxing at the end of the day, before bed, etc., etc., etc.  When we quit, all of those ties need to be broken - we need to relearn our lives as ex-smokers - and that is probably more difficult than breaking the physical addiction.

Nancy

0 Kudos
elvan

I certainly understand the need for dopamine.  After I quit, when I was finally able to do some exercise, I was stunned at how amazing I felt.  My heart was pumping away and I felt stronger and better about myself than I had in years.  I HATED smoking, I wanted very much to quit, I hated the smell, the looks of judgement on the faces of others, the feeling that I was taking time away from my family and from things I needed to do.  I am so glad that I am free, I am SERIOUSLY FREE!  After years and years of smoking, I am free and I can grow the way I was meant to all along.  I can handle my life without putting an addictive substance into my body.  You CAN do this, if you are afraid of how it will affect your schizophrenia, you need to talk to your doctor about that.  I certainly do not think killing yourself with smoking is the answer and I cannot imagine that anyone would recommend that.

Ellen

0 Kudos
minihorses

Hey ampan75!  I am a classified, categorized, certified, and sanctified crazy woman with bi-polar.  We probably take some of the same meds.  I don't know about any "high" or about being "normal" (whatever the h$ll that is) because the medicines I've taken for decades are to help maintain some sort of middle ground and keep the depression and mania under control somewhat.  At the risk of sounding trite, if you smoked to kill time think of some things you enjoy doing even if you only do it for 10 minutes at a time.  What you need to think about is that you weren't 'killing time' by smoking, you were killing yourself instead, 10 minutes at a time!  You got this and if you need help we're all here!  Be your best friend not your worst enemy.

I'm crazy.png

Julie   65 DOF

maryfreecig

Nicotine does affect the reward area of the brain as well. Letting go of the idea that smoking was my everything took time. I thought I would never let go--that depressed me and made me angry at the same time. Over time I stopped putting the cigs front and center and now I am able to do anything without wanting or thinking of a cigarette. Takes time. 

Yes you can, one day at a time.

0 Kudos