cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kkbbay

Habit vs nicotine

Habit vs nicotine. How do you kick a habit which isn’t a routine? I smoke in the evenings, only. I enjoy having the time to myself — no responsibilities. Not having a cigarette is not scaring me (gone without one a day just this week). Not having the time is. I’ve tried planning alternatives and ways to still have quiet time without a smoke, but always go back. Can anyone share what worked for them?

10 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

You need to change up that routine for a bit.  Change your location; change up what you do before your quiet time.  Find other ways to relax...perhaps a bubble bath?  Maybe play a computer game?  Get an adult coloring book and crayons, or a jigsaw or crossword puzzle book?  Do you knit or crochet or latch hook?  If not, check out online tutorials and learn, maybe.  You can't only eliminate the smoking if you continue the rest of the ritual.

I wrote a blog and asked for input from our members that I think will give you more useful information:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/109313-for-our-new-years-quitters-and-community-members-t... 

I'm glad you are here!

Nancy

Roller831

You can still have the time to yourself in the evenings - no responsibilities, but now you will be doing it without a smoke.  Easier said than done, right?  What is it about the smoking that provides you with the time?   Usually, when we quit smoking, we find ourselves with EXTRA time.  That time in which we are no longer smoking is time we gain to do other things.

My struggle was having more time on my hands and not knowing what to do with it since I was used to smoking!  So...I found other things to do like read and play with the cats and kids more.  Other things could be to soak in a bathtub or listen to music.

Nancy linked you to a very helpful blog.  There is also /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke?sr=search&searchId=e3c7...‌ which may be helpful to you as well.

indingrl

I enjoy smoking to until i had to face the FACTS not feelings of fantasy... routine or habit doesnt matter the FACT is I was doing what I WANTED regardless of the FACT the realities of MY nicotine addiction that I  was an addict and smoking alone so NO ONE could would judge ME for wanting to die an early death FACT nicotine causes heart attacks.....strokes....cancers of lip tongue stomach lungs and I lied to MYSELF that all that happens to OTHER people not ME .... then i saw a commercial by this website.... a guy was TRYING to drink a cup of coffee and kept spilling it and missing his mouth.... then the announcer stated a FACT its hard to do something without a cigarette in the BEGINNING given time WE can enjoy life without using nicotine.... something like that and the FACT for ME woke me up.... you MUST face the FACT not feeling or habit or routine or any excuse... and admit complete powerlessness over nicotine because I AM A ..........you get to fill in the blank and  for ME I had to admit to MY inner most self.... I am a nicotine addict.... you have that opportunity now before you choose to continue to suck on death sticks out of routine or habit..... how important is it to you the excuse..... is it life or death or give this gift of love from God to choose for yourself freedom from nicotine addiction... this was ALL SUGGESTED to ME FACTS not feelings.... your choice because nicotine is still killing people by their CHOICES CHOICES CHOICES.... now its up to you.... YOU ALONE GET TO CHOOSE for you..... life or early death. Hope you keep coming back and educate YOURSELF on your using nicotine. That is what was said to me a long time ago and only by Gods grace i keep coming back to give away what was given to ME FREELY!     

minihorses

You hit it spot on indingrl.01.06.2011!! 

May I suggest something to you?  Instead of picking up a cigarette in the evening, cut up some straws the length of a cigarette and use that instead.  What you're missing is simply the deep breathing.  You can always take 10 minutes out of your day at the usual time you used to smoke.  Instead of a smoking area, create a relaxation area.  Start a different routine.  It's under the same concept of people preparing for bed.  they lay down they fluff their pillows a few times, they arrange their sheets a certain way and fall asleep.  The next night, they may have missed a step along the way and have the worst night ever sleeping.  Perhaps start a routine of turning on a diffuser or a wax warmer or a salt lamp, whatever and sit in a relaxing chair and simply deep breathe, slowly.  You used your smoking at the end of the day as a reward to relax and that's what you're associating it with.

stmand92

Hi, it seems that there is a habit there and changing it will help you quit smoking. I smoked at that same times most days (morning, after meals and work, before bed). And this was the first thing I changed. I knew that if I can change the routine then it would help and it did. I quit for good. You can do this, best of luck to you.

maryfreecig

Nicotine addiction does vary from person to person and a minority are not addicted at all--so I've heard. Smoking is the same problem, though, because of the toxicity of the stuff infused in the cigarette by cigarette companies. Addiction or not, there is no debate about the toxicity of cigarettes.

I wonder if you are undervaluing your need to rally yourself to quit because you see your smoking as less harmful than others who smoke throughout the day?   If your attachment to cigs is a mild form of dependence instead of addiction, the risk to your health is still high versus those who do not smoke. 

As others have pointed out, changing your routine up for a while may be just the thing to get past this relationship of cigarette to quiet time.

0 Kudos

You say "I don't do that anymore" every time you think of smoking.

elvan

Welcome to EX...please read the following blog by Dr Hays https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/expert-advice/blog/2017/12/21/is-smoking-only-a-few-cig...  You can still take breaks and have time to yourself without putting poison in your body.  I had more than one failed quit because I felt sorry for myself because I felt that I couldn't take breaks...seriously, once I realized that I could still take breaks and I could actually either do something productive or I could just enjoy quiet time...my life got exponentially better.  Granted, I smoked more than one or two a day and I it was for years and years...but I have not smoked now in close to FOUR years.  I am not continuously damaging my body, not any more. Freedom is amazing, even if you only think that a little smoking is not hurting you.

Stay close to the site...learn about what smoking does and what QUITTING does.

Ellen