cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ampan75

what makes you stronger

I read a proverb. what doesnt kill you makes you stronger. Does it goes with craves as well. people who have been smoke free for more than a year. how they feel , are they stronger than before and better in life situations. as they don't run up to cigarette to handle. Dies craves come to make us stronger in life. is it Gods will. give your opinion.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
TW517

For me, it gets way too theologically messy when we start saying that God wills any kind of pain or discomfort on some people but not others.  Especially when we imagine that we know the reason why this person “deserved it” more than someone else.  God doesn’t inflict pain on anyone, but He is the first to cry with us when we experience it. 

Sootie

"What does not kill you makes you stronger"  and quitting smoking will certainly not KILL anyone......quite the opposite! Although the craves can be trying at times, quitting is doable and so good for every person who perseveres and makes it to freedom.

Does it make you stronger? It makes you realize that there are many things you thought you could not do which indeed....YOU CAN! The strength comes from knowing that you are capable of changing your life for the better.

0 Kudos

We've said it over and over in a thousand different ways:

/blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2016/10/18/i-wish-i-could-give-you-a-crystal-ball 

Let me ask you this - 

If we were all worse off and miserable, deprived and frustrated would we be here day after day telling, asking, begging you to become FREE?

Craves are caused by Addiction - not from withdrawal! When you remember that you realize that the only way out is through!

On this premise, God didn't create Addiction, therefore He didn't create craves - it is a natural consequence of turning our back on His gift of Addiction-FREE Life, i.e., sin. God gave us Free Will do do right or wrong and Recovery is healing from sin through repentance.

This is my opinion.Take what you like and leave the rest.

YoungAtHeart

Stronger?  Yes!

More confident?  Yes!

Less stressed?  Yes!

Deal with life on its terms?  Yes!

Participate fully in life?  Yes!

Breathe better?  Yes!

Smell better?  Yes!

Feel better? Yes!

Why else would those here who have quit continue to try to help others?  Freedom is the BEST!

Nancy

maja2

I love "participate fully in life" !!!   I  am  adding that  to  my list  of what I want out of my quit.   That is so true when we are quit!!   Thank you for that! 

0 Kudos

I'm extrapolating here and perhaps going off point so bear with me.

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger 

I believe in many situations, the struggle can make people stronger when they get through.

Regarding smoking, I don't believe quitting over and over makes anyone stronger.

The only way to quit smoking successfully is to DECIDE to, so, until you're decided...

As a quit lengthens

It tends to strengthen

As you distance yourself

From true contemplation.

ampan75

again and again cannot, because every failure is a low point. and it's lower than earlier one. I read how people who had one end up with relapse and think oh I failed instead they should be alert and one should not let to relapse. that's a weakness .

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I see negative thinking here.  You EXPECT to fail - so you will.  Change your mind's direction.  Even one is NOT an option.  Find something else to do in those moments when you are feeling weak.  Come here and blog "HELP."  Take a shower.  Go for a walk.  Take slow, deep breaths until the moment passes.  Have a plan what you can do when those moments happen.  You aren't weak; you are unprepared!

Nancy

Addiction isn't about strength and weakness. It's about perspective and focus. We can only achieve Success by focusing on what we want instead of what we don't want. The Elders were not stronger than you! We simply saw our Addiction in a different light! Anybody can Quit! It is 100% doable!