Happy New Year and January everyone, welcome to the Daily Pledge in the Celebrations & Events community where we can meet daily to take another person's hand and make our commitment stronger.
I am honored to be facilitating the Daily Pledge!
When I think of January, I usually think of the New Year, setting new goals, and cold weather. As it turns out though, there’s a whole lot more to January than just those things!
- So in effort to shed some light on the coolness that is the month of January, here are a few facts:
1. January is named after the Roman god Janus, who was always shown as having two heads. He looked back to the last year and forward to the new one.
- The Anglo-Saxons called January “Wulfmonath” as it was the month hungry wolves came scavenging at people’s doors.
- It’s National Soup Month in the U.S. as well as Slow Cooking Month, Hot Tea Month, Blood Donor Month, Thank You Month, and Bath Safety Month to name just a few.
- The only Shakespeare plays that mention January are Much Ado About Nothing and Winter’s Tale.
- More couples separate or divorce in January than in any other month.
- January 1st is both the furthest away and closest day to December 31st.