cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

OtownBob137

Quitting with the Patch

Planning to quit using a patch on 01/02/18 Many failed cold turkey quits haven't worked for Any positive feedback would be very helpful Thanks

Labels (1)
21 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I am glad you are here.  I wrote a blog for our newly arrived members and solicited advice from the community that I think you will find helpful:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/109313-for-our-new-years-quitters-and-community-members-t... 

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking.  Get to work now to get ready!

Nancy

Sandy-9-17-17

Welcome to a great support site!  You will find lots of good people here, and a lot of informational reading for you to get started!  

We are glad you are here, and hope that you are 100% committed to starting your quit, no matter what way you choose to do it, it is the best decision you could ever make for yourself!  

One step at a time, one day at a time!  Start working through all your triggers and make a plan to change your routine!  

It is do-able!  

Be sure to post your successes or struggles, and be ready for some rock solid answers!  We're glad you are here and pretty sure you will be too! 

Best wishes for a healthy new you! 

I used a patch for two weeks. Stopped when I forgot two days in a row. Put one in my wallet with a promise. It stayed there my first year. Never needed it.

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. From what I've heard, follow instructions on the patch--duration, step down and amount of nicotine dose as applies to your case. Some remove the patch at night for a better sleep. Support is a powerful approach for quitting, so please stick around Ex to read, share and get info. 

Roller831

Welcome!  Nancy's link to the https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/109313-for-our-new-years-quitters-and-community-members-t...‌ has a wealth of knowledge!  I did not use the patch to quit, but there are many on this site who did and can offer personal experience.  I will share that the single most important thing I did in those first days of my quit was to keep this site close.  I used it to keep my mind off of smoking /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke?sr=search&searchId=5be0...‌ ,for advice when I was struggling, to celebrate that first day one which turned into my first day WON, and for any support I needed.  

If you find yourself in trouble, come here BEFORE smoking and post a discussion with the subject of HELP! and someone will surely help.

Deb-EX

Hello OtownBob137  Welcome to the EX Community and congratulations on taking the 1st step!! 

After 35 years of smoking a pack of cigarettes a day.. 47 days ago I Quit using the 21mg Nicoderm Patch. Honestly, I never believed the patch would work for me, but I have nothing but positive things to say about it..  

The patch definitely works, but in all fairness - it only takes the edge off - you still have to put in the work to not light up again.  I like the fact that I can work on the mental/emotional part of the addiction FIRST which for me is more of WHY I was still smoking than anything - it's was my source of EVERYTHING! I will focus on the physical part later down the road when I have established a new cigarette free lifestyle. So far it's been a very positive experience.

I've read a lot of people had issues with sleeping with the patch. During the first week of my quit I did have the very vivid dreams, but they didn't bother me at all and they went away. You might have to experiment with that. Since I don't know how much you smoke ect, I am just giving you advice based on my experience.

On 1/2/18 I am stepping down to the 14mg patch and I feel more than prepared for this second step. While the craves are still there, some days stronger than others.. I've really learned how to control them and them not control me.

This EX Community has been a God send to me.. Everyone here, is here to help you if you want it... STAY CLOSE!!!

I wish you the BEST of luck and look forward to reading your updates!!

Debbie

47 Days Smoke Free 

you are doing wonderfully....... WTG !!!!

Deb-EX

Thank YOU Lori...   I'm thrilled to be where I'm at and look forward to hitting the 60 Day mark!!