cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Bopi237

Reset my quit date?

So I quit smoking December 16 and I’ve since slipped up and had a cig last Saturday, just one. I know it sounds silly but I’m having a hard time with resetting my quit date. 10 days sounds so much better than 3. 

21 Replies
Giulia

Just type "resetting quit date" in the community search box and you can spend the next week reading commentary about it.  Here's one such blog: /blogs/Storm_3.1.14-blog/2015/08/03/the-question-to-reset-or-not-to-reset  (Be sure to read the comments after as well.)   As far as I'm concerned, I'll just quote jonescarp:  "The date behind people’s names on this site means something. It is the date the last cigarette touched their lips."  

Of course 10 days sounds so much better than 3.  But it's a lie, isn't it?  

I'm such a crab, ain't I? 🙂

0 Kudos
Giulia

Naw, yer a pussycat!

0 Kudos
Tabbiekat

I will forever have two quit dates in my mind. October 17th when I jumped ahead of my Oct 30th quit day. I was so proud of myself for quitting early. October 30th came around and even as I asked my husband to light one up for me, I was driving and it was always the rule that the passenger light up for the driver, I knew I would regret it, I even told him that. He paused and said are you sure? before he lit one up for me. I smoked for the rest of the drive and the drive home. I dropped him off at home 5 hrs later and had I smoked 6 or 7 cigarettes in the period. I had to go to the pharmacy then to pick up dinner after I dropped him off. I had access, but choose not to light up during that time and knew then that I was done and then the "do I tell them on EX?" I knew if I said anything I would be resetting my quit date and I did. October 31st is my official quit date, but I will always hold October 17th as my quit date too.

I did feel guilty and re-ran that whole day over and over, nitpicking every detail that led me to ask my husband to light me up and it was a good 3-4 weeks where I was kicking myself over light up on the 30th. I learned what led up to my slip, because it was a slip, a slip where I let my precious quit go and I pray I learned what I can differently next time and I learned that no matter what I need to hold on tight to my quit. I honestly think the guilt from smoking was worse then my first week quit.

I tell you this in hopes that someone who is new or on the verge will come across this post and hopefully not make that slip. I tell you this because I have been in your position. It seems so minor and it is ultimately up to you, but I would suggest changing your quit date for your reminder and use it to tell the story of truth just as I have.

BTW I am in my 57 day quit and it is a true 57 days quit...the extra few days I could have had would sound better, but not make me feel any better.

You got this

Tabbie

I'm so happy that you have enough confidence in the Community to ask this question!

There have been some folks who have not come forward and just pretended that they didn't smoke that "just one." 

There are also people who have come and defiantly declared that they refuse to change their quit date - so there!

And some people have asked the question and then chosen to leave the Community because they didn't like the answer -

even though they asked the question!

So what will you do? 

Will you wonder why NML lasted longer than we said it did because we're calculating from Day 1 and you are, well, not. So the entire calendar is thrown even if ever so slightly off.

Will you a Year from now feel just as good to be mistaken for a 6%er when you know there was some fudging involved? I couldn't but we don't all have the same moral compass.

What is the goal in turning a blind eye to that "just one?" Have you read enough to know that "just one" is very dangerous territory for all of us for the rest of our Quit Journey? Did you know that "just one" constitutes a relapse even after Years of Recovery because it most certainly can derail the Freedom Train? 

You will do what you decide to do and we will always support your smobriety. Always. So take what you like but leave the rest but my opinion lines up with Giulia - since you did ask!

YoungAtHeart

I would recommend you hold yourself accountable and reset your date.  If you don't, what is to keep you from doing it again - and again?  And - one of those times you might not get back to your quit for awhile, or even years.  It's better to be accountable.

Nancy

Mon2

I have not has a cigarette for two days now.  I just come here and read, finished reading Allen book 

Roller831

Keep reading!  That is the single most important thing and I feel the thing that helped me quit and stay quit!  Congrats on your 3 DOF (because it is now 3 DOF).

Bopi237

What is DOF?

0 Kudos