cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

estrella1107

Feeling nervous to quit.

I have a date and a goal. Now I need the will power and motivation. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies

Estrella. Willpower is not what you need. You need a plan and willingness. You also need support. We can provide all except willingness. I just want to reassure you that this is doable and you are in the right place!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I recently wrote a blog and asked everyone here for their best advice for our new members:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/17060-for-our-new-years-quitters-and-community-members-too.  I think you will find lots of good information there.

Pretty much everyone was nervous as their quit date approach, but with the right preparation and planning, you will be better prepared for what is ahead. 

I have never heard anyone say they wished they had quit later.  NOW is the time to do it.  You can - and we can help.

Start reading and let us know if you have any questions!

Nancy

elvan

Welcome to EX....you will find everything you need right here.  You need education, commitment, and support.  We can't actually give you the commitment but we can help you to recognize its importance.  Willpower does not work with addiction and this is addiction. We are all here for you and we have all been where you are.

Again, welcome.

Ellen

Sandy-9-17-17

If you are serious about quitting this addiction for good, you are in the right place!  You will find so much information here as well as good people!  Welcome to BecomeAnEX.org   

Get your plan in motion and jump on board to get support and share your journey with us.  You may even find yourself helping others as you go along!  

Welcome! 

JACKIE1-25-15

You are making the best decision of your life.  Like Thomas3.20.2010‌ says it takes willingness.  Willingness to do what ever is necessary by any means necessary not to take a putt no matter what.  It is doable. YoungAtHeart‌ Thanks for making life easy.  Whoo Hoo. 

0 Kudos
Roller831

I agree you need willingness.  It can be done.  No one ever died from quitting smoking, but you can die if you don't quit.  Sometimes you just need to be it until you see it.  That means you need to be a non-smoker before you believe you truly are a non or EX smoker.  Nike says to Just Do It.  It sounds so much easier than it is, but this community is full of quitters and we are all here to support your efforts as long as you are willing.  Follow the steps on the site and from Nancy's blog cited above.  You can do this.

TW517

I feel bad "piling on" with all the comments about willingness not willpower, but it was so true for me.  On all my previous quits, I thought of myself as "trying to quit".  Well of course that was setting myself up for failure from the start.  This time I literally "decided to quit".  And because I couldn't even imagine mustering up enough willpower to quit for a week, let alone a few months or for life, I decided to quit for an hour.  Then a couple hours. Then a day.  You get the idea.  Eventually, you will begin to see yourself as an EX smoker instead of a smoker who didn't smoke today.

Welcome to EX!  Can't wait to start reading about your new journey!

maryfreecig

You don't need to fear that you will cave to the impulse to smoke, if you plan your way forward with your quit. Usually quitters need to chose strategies as to how they will deal with an impulse or desire to smoke--strategies can be as easy as repeating a mantra or require more effort such as a walk, cleaning...etc. It's a good idea to include a lot of strategies so as to give yourself a lot of choices when you quit. Choose stuff you like to do or are willing to do instead of smoke.

You already have the motivation as told by you--your kids. So please don't push yourself to find some phantasmagorical/ultimate truth that will make quitting easier, just accept that you mean it when you say your motivation to quit is your kids. 

You can also help yourself see how one cigarette will never be enough by saving all your smoked cigs in a clear glass jar now and up til you quit (keep the jar out in the open don't hide it away). Those cigs add up fast. 

With support and a plan (crafted and agreed on by you) you can quit one day at a time--chunk it down to just one day at a time.

Welcome to Ex. I'm glad you are here.