cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Bopi237

Can’t sleep, can’t stop crying

I’m going on day 5 of not smoking and I am uncontrollably crying non stop. Also I haven’t slept in 2 days. I toss and turn all night and end up crying again. I am wearing a patch and chewing nicotine gum as well but I don’t feel like its helping much. I feel like I’m losing my mind. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
25 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

I am so sorry that you have not been able to sleep, I can understand.  I lost a lot of sleep in the very beginning of my quit.  In order for me to get through it I made up my mind whatever withdrawal I had to get through I was going to do it no matter what.  Your body is going through a lot of changes.  I did not use the patch but I have read comments where uses took the patch off at night due to sleeplessness.  The crying more than likely is the emotional side of the withdrawal.  You have to take control.  One way is to develop a deep breathing technique.  Slowly inhaling and exhaling will help a lot.  Soft music may also have a calming affect.  Reading is a good distraction.  Most of all believe that this will only last for a very short term and you will and can get through it.  Recognize it is part of the process and be willing to do what ever it takes to NOPE not one puff no matter what.  Your life depends on it.  Don't give up Hang tough.  You can do this. 

Bopi237

Thank you so much for your reply. I am taking the patch off at night now and it is helping. Still having a hard time with depression. One day at a time

JACKIE1-25-15

Hang tough, no matter what NOPE, Stay close, Bookend your days here.  Be mindful of what is going on in your life that it is no reason to smoke.  Stay committed that NO MATTER WHat you will not smoke.  Good Job.  The journey continues. 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking and your five days of success!  You ARE doing this!!!

You might check on the strength of the patch you are using.  Each cigarette you smoked contained about 1 mg of nicotine.  So, if you are using a 21 mg patch, you must have been used to smoking a pack a day when you quit.  You might try taking the patch off at night - but be sure to change up your morning routine so the nicotine has a chance to get back up to dose in your system.  Not certain what to say about crying nonstop.  I know lots of folks become more emotional without their "go-to" remedy for feelings............Is there something in your life that is especially hard with which to deal?  If so - then this is just your body's natural way of dealing with it.  We hid from our feelings behind that cloud of smoke - and you aren't hiding anymore.  I suggest trying to get some exercise, or taking slow, deep breaths.   Try to think about all the GOOD things that are happening in your body instead of how much you miss smoking.  And know that all the things you thought it did for you are all lies.  Read on to discover why!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for a free pdf of it on the net (copyright enforcement won't allow me to post the link here).

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Bopi237

Thank you for your reply. I find that taking the patch off before bed is helping with sleep. Not crying as much, but still struggling with overall depression. I slipped up on xmas eve and smoked one, as I was drinking heavily. Think I will stop drinking for now, as this is a trigger for me. Thank you for your kind words

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Alcohol reduces your ability to think clearly and make good decisions.  Not drinking while you are quitting is a GREAT decision! 

Do it!

Nancy

0 Kudos

So here's some practical things you can do.

- take naps whenever you can

- stop drinking caffeine for now or if you just have to have caffeine at least cut it in half

- drink fruit juice - cranberry is the best - throughout the day to keep your blood sugars steady

- eat healthy fresh food throughout the day - 6 - 8 small meals a day instead of 2 or 3 - it levels out your metabolism and actually you'll lose weight!

- get 20 - 30 minutes of exercise a day - it will supplement your body with much needed dopamine and serotonin

- cry your eyes out but remember - crying because of a stroke, heart attack, cancer or COPD diagnosis is much worse and lasts a whole lot longer! Quitting never kills anybody - smoking definitely does!

elvan

I am so sorry you are having such a hard time, I do echo what Thomas3.20.2010‌ has said about the caffeine and the exercise...I also have to wonder if maybe you are getting too MUCH nicotine with the patch and the gum.  How much did you smoke? Bopi237‌, are you keeping the patch on at night?  PLEASE believe that this too shall pass...it absolutely DOES get easier, it takes time and commitment and coming here was a very good thing to do.  We are here, every person here wants you to succeed.  Smoking is NEVER the answer, it NEVER helps with anything, it never changes anything for the good.  It is secretly and quietly trying to KILL you...crying is a release and apparently you need to let those feelings out.

Best,

Ellen

ampan75

you are definately mother figure for this  site. very caring. thanks....