cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Pam10

Do you wish you could go away to get help to quit?

3564791--001DiningRoom.JPG

Hi everyone. I've been reading your posts and have seen how difficult it is to quit.  First, let me introduce myself.  My name is Pam and I work in the Nicotine Dependence Center at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.  I work specifically with the 5-day Residential Treatment Program.  Yes, there is such a thing!  This program is designed for those who have struggled with quitting on their own, may feel they've tried everything, and are looking for a safe place to get away and truly focus on becoming tobacco free without the distractions of work, family, and other commitments.  Especially this time of year, it's so important to take care of ourselves.  We all get wrapped up in wanting to take care of others but we need to remember to take care of ourselves first and then we're better equipped to take care of others.  Most people don't realize there are places to come for treatment for tobacco dependence, and unfortunately there are only two in the country - the Mayo program and another in St. Helena, CA.  You can find information on the Mayo Clinic program at www.mayoclinic.org/ndctreatment.  Or if you want to talk to someone I'm happy to chat with you and answer any questions (507) 266-9392. 

Labels (2)
3 Replies
KMC56

Good to know!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Pam10 I am curious - do you have stats on long term (a year, two years out) success of the residential program?

Thanks!

Nancy

Pam10

The success rate of the Mayo Clinic Nicotine Dependence Center 8-Day Residential program is measured at 6 months with 52% remaining tobacco-free.  Click on this link to see a publication with success rates showing outpatient versus residential treatment. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21307389?otool=mnmcclib&myncbishare=mnmcclib