cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Giulia

Addiction is a form of learning

Found the following really interesting.  

Addiction is a form of learning,” (emphasis mine) he explained.  “Imagine by analogy that we have a dog and we want to train him to come when called. We call and when he comes we give him a 10 oz steak we had behind our back. He eats it and then it’s gone for 12 hours. That’s similar to heroin. [Heroin] is a very large reward but even a stone junky is unlikely to shoot up more than 3 times a day. So it’s very intermittent.”

He contrasts this to the cigarette smoker who smokes a pack a day. At 20 cigarettes per pack and 10 puffs per cigarette, that’s like cutting the steak into 200 pieces so that you have 200 small rewards rather than one big one. Now when the dog comes when called he gets a tiny morsel of steak but then you practice repeatedly for reliable rewards.

The result? Says Linden, “Well by the end of the day the dog will have learned to come when called.” Similarly with cigarettes he states, “we have extremely reliable small rewards over and over that are associated with the act of puffing the cigarette and so we are extraordinarily good trainers of our inner dog.”    (Source:  Dog Training Tip: Why Cigarettes are More Addicting than Heroin and How It Applies to Dog Training –... )

Thus if addiction is a form of learning, freedom from that addiction must be a form of unlearning.  We have to unlearn the behavior associated with smoking and replace it with a new norm.  We have to relearn life as it was before the treats.  As addiction is a form of learning, quitting too is a form of learning.  It just takes a little longer. 

Don't give up!

7 Replies

Das Is Corrrrect!

20 times a day is a much different addiction than 3 times a day.

MarilynH

Wow! I love this blog post and dang I wish there was a helpful button for blogs because I believe everyone that reads this would tap on the helpful button I know I would.

freeneasy

Very interesting... I wonder how many bones = a pack and 1/2?

Giulia

All depends on the potency of them bones, them bones, them ......

elvan

Giulia‌ WOW, what an amazing blog, what an amazing analogy...it makes SO MUCH SENSE.  I know people who are recovering from opiate addiction of one kind or another and most of them have said that quitting smoking is so much harder.  I have tried to explain that they probably did not use their drug in the middle of a crowd but the several times a day did not occur to me.  This is just amazing, thank you for posting it.  I am going to download it and keep it handy so I can at least TRY to explain it to others.  

Thank you, thank you.

XOXO,

Ellen

Giulia

elvan‌  It sort of hit my brain the same way.  Makes perfect sense.  We have trained ourselves to be addicted.  The substance is addictive on it's own, but our behavior has been modified in the sense that we've been trained.  Glad you liked.

Deb-EX

It is amazing to think of our addiction in this way and it does make perfect sense when you think about it. I have a dog, I trained her using treats.. She's 5 and till this day she pees and runs to the door for her treat. Goes back out poops - runs to the door for her treat. She's smart and learned to do these separately so that she gets 2 treats out of it. Love this analogy, thanks for sharing!