cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

minihorses

More health issues

I got a phone call from my doctors' office today. After 3 separate blood tests the nurse called and said my thyroid level is too low (hypo-thyroid).  I had a half of it removed 10 years ago and it's always been fine. Maybe it's just because I'm over 50 now. They called in some drugs and I'll go get them tomorrow. I needed more medical issues like a hole in my head.  At least this one should be easily controlled.  The only thing that bugs me is that the addition of the thyroid medicine will bring my daily total of prescriptions up to 13. That doesn't include the OTC pro-biotic or the vitamins I take. Could be worse.  Although it was a little upsetting when they called I never even considered having a cigarette. The thought didn't even cross my mind!  I just feel like Mr. Potato Head. My mistake, there is a Mrs.Potato Head too.  The pieces have come off and someone tries to put me together but somehow I still ended up with an arm where an eye should be. 

Julie 30 DOF

31 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Wow - 13 Rxs!

I am SO glad you have quit smoking.  While it won't cure what currently ails you, it WILL make some things better, and may prevent others in the future.

Thank you for sharing your story! 

Nancy

0 Kudos
minihorses

Nancy,

Ditto on the quit smoking. Generally I don't categorize my health problems as ailments. I just think of them as a part of me that needs attending to daily.  I guess that having one medical issue after the other, after the other, you get used to it.  Just another day in the life.

I just hope I don't have side effects since right now the Chantix is working great and there have been no adverse reactions with my other 11 daily meds. Hope your day is great!

Julie   51 DOF

0 Kudos
freeneasy

Great job with your quit! You probably sound nothing like Mr. Potato head ( he sounds like Don Rickles) 

minihorses

Maybe not Mr. Head but I can do a mean Mrs. Potato Head, lol

0 Kudos
Tabbiekat

If it makes you feel any better- aprox 66 pills taken daily between me and my husband and that does not include the gabapintin, excedrin, tylenol and norco that is taken as needed . Once a month I spend 3+hrs sorting everything out into daily pill boxes. So yes it could be much worse. I developed hypothyroidism a few years ago and out of all of my health conditions it was controlled with the most ease. Took testing every 2-3 months for a few months until my levels reached what my doctor wanted them to be, but it has been stable for the last 2 years. I have been taking chantix with no ill side effects and most of the medicines for hypothyroidism are similar, so I hope it doesn't cause any issues for you. Congrats on 30 DOF

0 Kudos
minihorses

66 pills a day! I sure couldn't keep track of all of them. It sucks that you have to spend so much time managing your medicine that you could use doing something more enjoyable.  I take some huge size drugs, one of them is a 1 inch diamond shape of all things! I don't have a gag reflex so I can shove handfuls down at one time. I gave up the pill sorter because I literally have no good place to put it. We live in a very small house and space is at a premium.  The Chantix is working miracles and I'm so glad I haven't had any of the side effects or reactions with my other meds. Since you do take thyroid pills I have a question. Do you take  Levothyroxine (aka Synthroid, Tirosint, Levoxyl, Unithroid, and Levo-T)?  If so, did you gain weight?  I've spent 10 years trying to keep a stable weight because of my stomach surgery and it is extremely hard to get any weight I gain off.  I have to try to keep it within a 5 lb range of ideal.  Thanks!! Keep on keeping on!  In the words of the great George Burns, "I get up every morning and read the obituary column. If my name's not there, I eat breakfast."

Hugs!

Julie   52 DOF

0 Kudos
Tabbiekat

I do take Levothyroxine and I would say if anything getting your thyroid levels in the proper range will help keep your weight where you want it. Having hypothyroidism can make you gain weight or cause difficulty to lose weight. For me since I started taking Levothyroxine when I put forth the effort I found weight loss to be much easier vs the years before I started it.

Levothyroxine has the "take on empty stomach" note so I take mine as soon as I get out of bed then finish waking up and can eat/consume something besides water 30 minutes later. I take my other 5 pills at one time so I have the simple 7 day pill container.

I bought 4 and do my pills at the same time as my husbands since we both take a few of the same supplements. I got him a big 31 day, 4x a day pill container and it is still smaller then the box that I keep all of our pills in. I also have two medication lists for him, one with all of the prescription and non prescription medications, what he takes it for, and how often he takes it. The other list just has the breakdown of when he takes what and I use that list to do the monthly pill separation. Been using it for a year now and it is great except during the times I have to add/take out something mid-month. I am my husbands caregiver and that job includes doing his medicine

0 Kudos
minihorses

I took the first pill this morning and read take on an empty stomach and wait 30 minutes before eating or drinking anything besides water.  Are they freaking kidding me?  I have to wait 30 minutes before making my morning infusion of cappuccino?  No way Jose!  Not happening. It's just espresso, sugar free vanilla creamer powder and about 3/4 cup of 1% milk and some cinnamon sprinkled on top. I have to wash the pieces of it every day and I usually don't get to it until the morning so I consider that as long enough. Besides, frothing takes a while so I'm going to call that long enough.  The rest of my pills get gulped down in one handful later. Thanks for your help and I hope this dosage works well. 

Julie 

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Hi Julie minihorses‌, I also have Hashimoto's, have been diagnosed in January, and taking the Synthroid and Levothyroxine together.  I take them first thing in the morning (lately I wake up at about 3:00 am, take them and go back to sleep).  I hate it when I need to wait in the morning to have my cup of coffee.  But if you do not allow your body to absorb them before you drink anything else, their effect can be diminished and basically do half of the job they are meant to do, or less.  I used to set my alarm about 1 h before my normal get up time, but now it became automatic for me to wake up at about 3am. Give the drug about 30min, it is important!